The Menomonee Falls Village Board room was nearly full Monday night as residents turned up for the public comment portion to discuss the Radisson Hotel.
Though public comment was limited to 15 minutes, two things were clear after eight speakers addressed the board: the subcontractors want to be paid, and the public does not want the village's investment in the hotel to fall on their shoulders.
"My advice for you is get out of the private sector. What were you thinking? You all need to be thrown out of office," Menomonee Falls resident Mark Rattan said.
The village of Menomonee Falls lent $17.65 million to Lodging Investors of Menomonee Falls for the Radisson Hotel that opened in June 2011. The village is still owed a majority of its principal loan.
Steve Welcenbach, president of the Menomonee Falls Taxpayers Association asked the Village Board to work together with the association and the community to fix the problem that is the Radisson Hotel. The MFTA is a nonprofit organization that formed this year with a mission to keep taxes and spending in Menomonee Falls down. Its goal is to also stop the community from providing financing to private businesses.
"There is no place for the community providing financing for business ventures, which this demonstrates," Welcenbach said, referencing the Radisson Hotel before the meeting. "That's something our community has been doing lately and it's something we have to turn around."
While taxpayers don't want the financial burden to fall on them, subcontractors are asking the village to pay them for their work.
Thomas Malzewski, who owns Heritage Glass, said he is hoping he doesn't lose his company as a result of not being paid for the work he did on the Radisson. Mark Mouradian from the food service equipment company Edward Don & Company is still waiting to be paid $80,000 for the work done on the hotel.
Former Menomonee Falls Village President Jefferson Davis asked the board to "do what's right and pay them."
- Farmers markets springing to life in Sussex, Butler, Menomonee Falls
- Old Falls Village Days set for June 4-5
- Street festival to mark Memorial Day in Menomonee Falls (1)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- The 'wurst' idea for the best summer
- Load your basket with these picnic tips
- Something for all us to scream about: Ice cream tips for a hot, hot summer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Menomonee Falls North Middle School seventh-grader to compete at National Spelling Bee
- Overnight closure of Highway 45 at I-41/US 45 split