Board nixes office space near homes
Trustees say proposal an inappropriate use for subdivision
Menomonee Falls - The Menomonee Falls Village Board on Monday denied a conditional-use permit for a field office to be operated out of the garage of a model home in Cranes Crossing Subdivision, calling it an inappropriate use for the area.
William Ryan Homes applied for a permit to construct and operate a temporary sales office in the garage of a single-family home, W182 N4841 Green Crane Drive, that is located near the entrance of the subdivision.
Cranes Crossing is located on the north side of Lisbon Road and to the West of Marcy Elementary School. The subdivision is about 70 percent developed, with 52 residences already built in the area, said Village President Randy Newman.
The board unanimously denied the permit.
"Because of its proximity to the school, as well as the residential setting of this particular neighborhood, both myself and President Newman, members of the Plan Commission, expressed our very sincere opposition to this request," Trustee Michael McDonald said. "We do not feel as though it is appropriate to have this type of commercial activity in a residential setting."
William Ryan Homes hoped to build a field office in the garage of a two-story model home. It would have operated 40-plus hours a week, with one full-time employee. The office and model home would have served various subdivisions throughout the village, not just Cranes Crossing.
"While in some other subdivisions we have allowed this, it's (been) at the start of the subdivision. This one is 70 percent sold out or built already," Newman said. "We felt it was inappropriate and unfair to current homeowners."
According to village documents, nearly two dozen residents signed a petition opposing the office location. Many also wrote letters and emails of opposition, citing traffic concerns for the area, where many children live.
"There was not one neighbor speaking in support of it," Newman said. "The people who live there were really against the traffic, and it's largely built out already."
The model home can still be used for showings; however, it will not be the site of an office.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fall leaf pickup slated to begin mid-October in the Falls
- Chipotle in Menomonee Falls to open next month, employees needed
- Falls Guy, Oct. 8, 2015: Train-ing mission
- Tri-County Y nears first anniversary under Greater Waukesha umbrella
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Oct. 8, 2015
- Juvenile suspect apprehended by citizen after stealing vodka at Menomonee Falls Piggly Wiggly
- Reminder: responses needed to Falls School District Community Survey today, Oct. 5
- Robin's Nest to host Vera Bradley Ambassador Joan Bradley Reedy
- Menomonee Falls to consider allowing outdoor seating at Tornado Brewery
- Former professional fighter puts burglar in choke hold, keeps him knocked out until police arrive (1)