Menomonee Falls - The Village Board on Monday approved the purchase of land to be used for stormwater retention in an older area of the village.
The village is purchasing about 13 acres of agricultural land at the intersection of Christman and Maple roads, south of County Line Road, for approximately $228,700.
They are paying a $10,000 nonrefundable down payment with a 90-day closure contingency, Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said. This stipulation was put in place because staff has to prepare a certified survey map that shows the new land parcels. The map then has to be approved by the Village Board.
"In our capital improvement plan, we've been working on the stormwater control system for some of those neighborhoods on the far end of Christman Road that were built in the '60s without any kind of storm sewer or stormwater control," Fitzgerald said.
Christman Road is in poor shape, with steep ditches off the edge of the pavement, Director of Engineering Tom Hoffman said. Currently, the water drains along the road from the subdivision into a 42-inch pipe. Any storm greater than a two-year rain event causes the water to flow into the road and into what used to be a farmer's field.
In the event of a 100-year storm, the water would overwhelm the current pipe system in place. For these reasons, a new stormwater control system will be implemented.
"We are going to add additional capacity of the ditch and install a larger pipe, a 3-foot-by-12-foot box culvert, so that's quite an upgrade from a 42-inch (pipe)," Hoffman said.
The village will also be building a filtration system for the flood water, so clean water will be pumped into the Fox River. This is one stipulation of a permit the village received from the state Department of Natural Resources.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Menomonee Falls Dance Team to compete in kick, jazz at state competition Feb. 6
- Menomonee Falls Comprehensive Plan complete, set for possible approval this spring
- Park plans include upgrades to Village Park, new park on southwest side in Menomonee Falls
- School District of Menomonee Falls to continue examining results of one-time Badger exam
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Menomonee Falls board to review plans for improvements to Village Park, new park on southwest side
- Students host "Red Out" game at Menomonee Falls High School
- Ally's Bistro begins construction on expansion; slated to finish in June (1)
- School District of Menomonee Falls approves Sept. 1 start date