Falls named one of America's safest cities
Research site ranks Falls 60th on national list
Menomonee Falls - The village was named one of the safest cities in America by a neighborhood research site.
This award was given to the village by Neighborhood Scout, which looks at crime rates in cities and villages with a population of more than 25,000 and ranked Menomonee Falls as the 60th Safest City in America, said Menomonee Falls Police Chief Anna Ruzinski during a Village Board meeting Monday. Menomonee Falls was the only municipality in Wisconsin that made the list.
The award was unsolicited and based on the total number of crimes per 1,000 residents. Data used for the research included that taken from the Uniform Crime Reporting Index, which contains the crimes reported to the FBI, as well as the total population.
Crime statistics reflect the 2011 calendar year.
"It is because of our Police Department and because of our interaction with the businesses, our citizens and Neighborhood Watch that we are able to achieve this as one of the safest cities in the country so we are very pleased we have this award," Ruzinski said. "It's really a congratulations to the citizens of this community and a big thanks to my police officers who are doing a good job of keeping the village safe."
NeighborhoodScout.com, the website that posted the results, also ranked the cities' crime indexes. Falls' crime index ranked at 69, which means Falls is safer than 69 percent of U.S. cities that have a population of more than 25,000.
It also looked at violent crimes, where the national median is 3.9 per 1,000 people. Wisconsin falls below that median, with Menomonee Falls sitting at 0.25 violent crimes per 1,000 people. Ruzinski said this means the chance of someone becoming a victim of a violent crime in Menomonee Falls is one in 3,967.
According to the website's statistics, the chance of becoming a victim of a violent crime in the state of Wisconsin is one in 422.
Falls is also below the national and state median for property crimes.
Village President Randy Newman thanked Ruzinski and her staff for the work they have done in keeping the village safe.
"I think the way you have involved citizens in becoming part of what's going on in the neighborhood makes this a better community to live in," he said.
The list of America's 100 safest cities is posted on the Neighborhood Scout website.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- School District of Menomonee Falls happy with ACT results
- Falls on the Riverwalk seeks to replace former Associated Bank building with apartments (8)
- Menomonee Falls School District names new communications director
- Chicago duo face nine counts of credit card fraud after CVS purchases
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Former professional fighter takes Menomonee Falls-based business to next level
- Menomonee Falls world language department uses application, receives regional attention
- Menomonee Falls, Germantown among best places to live
- Menomonee Falls Business receives WIA People's Choice award