Menomonee Falls — CNN Money named Menomonee Falls as one of the 50 best places to live in the U.S.A.
Falls was the only place in Wisconsin to make the list.
Menomonee Falls was 28th out of the 50 towns listed as the best small towns in America, according to CNN Money's 2013 rankings of municipalities in America with populations between 10,000 and 50,000 residents. Menomonee Falls has a population of 35,974 people.
"It completely caught us off guard, we hadn't heard anything about it ahead of time, but we are very pleased," said Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald. "For us, it's a real sense of pride because I think we feel and live it every day and we think it's true, so it's kind of nice to have a validation at this level."
The rankings were based on a multitude of factors including housing, demographics, education, employment opportunities and crime rates.
Crime in 2012 was down by 9 percent, according to statistics released in January to NOW by the Menomonee Falls Police Department. That was the fifth consecutive year crime had decreased in the village.
Listed among the reasons CNN Money chose Menomonee Falls was the fact that it is home to several large employers including the headquarters of Kohl's Corp. and a Harley-Davidson factory.
Job growth in Menomonee Falls sits at 2.14 percent.
According to CNN Money, Menomonee Falls is also known as a good place to buy a starter home.
— Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports; Sept. 10, 2015
- Popular Menomonee Falls day care celebrates 40 years
- More changes in store for Pilgrim Road near Highway 41/45
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Sept. 3, 2015
- North Hills Plaza: Five months later
- School District of Menomonee Falls happy with ACT results
- Falls on the Riverwalk seeks to replace former Associated Bank building with apartments (10)
- Menomonee Falls School District names new communications director
- Chicago women charged with a combined nine counts of credit card fraud after CVS purchases
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015