Menomonee Falls — Kohl's Corp. is seeking zoning approval to house a corporate campus on nearly 100 acres in the Silver Spring Corporate Park in Menomonee Falls so it can begin expanding its current headquarters.
On Tuesday, the Menomonee Falls Plan Commission discussed amending the executive office and light industrial zoning district by adding a corporate campus designation. The meeting was held after print deadline. However, if the Plan Commission gives the green light, the Village Board has the final say in approving the zoning.
Kohl's announced in November its plans to buy a 300,000-square-foot building on Ridgewood Drive in the Silver Spring Corporate Park, where the company's current headquarters are located. The building is across the street from the main Kohl's building and next to the company's 24,000-square-foot wellness center. Kohl's also has agreed to buy the 28,000-square-foot former ProHealth medical building at W165 N5595 Creekwood Crossing, across from the Silver Spring Corporate Park. The company is opting to purchase these two buildings to accommodate its growth, instead of going forward with construction at Woodland Prime.
The buildings altogether would create Kohl's corporate campus. The Village Board in 2012 created the corporate campus designation, which means one or more tax parcels of land on at least 40 acres for a corporate or divisional headquarters that contains 2,500 or more employees.
Kohl's plans to have an estimated 4,500 employees on 96 acres of land when the entire campus is renovated, according to village documents.
"Once the corporate campus designation is in place they have the ability within the parameters in that designation to move forward with all future improvements and upgrades and wouldn't have to come back through a public process, and it creates a campus rather than a one building site," Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said.
Kohl's plans to start renovations at its headquarters as early as spring, he said.
The building on Ridgewood Drive will ultimately house the company's information technology facility. The ProHealth building will house an expanded wellness center and fitness facility for Kohl's employees. The current wellness center will be converted into a child care center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls School District happy with ACT Results
- Falls on the Riverwalk seeks to replace former Associated Bank building with apartments (8)
- Menomonee Falls School District names new communications director
- Chicago duo face nine counts of credit card fraud after CVS purchases
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Former professional fighter takes Menomonee Falls-based business to next level
- Menomonee Falls world language department uses application, receives regional attention
- Menomonee Falls, Germantown among best places to live
- Menomonee Falls Business receives WIA People's Choice award