Menomonee Falls — Kohl's Corp. is seeking zoning approval to house a corporate campus on nearly 100 acres in the Silver Spring Corporate Park in Menomonee Falls so it can begin expanding its current headquarters.
On Tuesday, the Menomonee Falls Plan Commission discussed amending the executive office and light industrial zoning district by adding a corporate campus designation. The meeting was held after print deadline. However, if the Plan Commission gives the green light, the Village Board has the final say in approving the zoning.
Kohl's announced in November its plans to buy a 300,000-square-foot building on Ridgewood Drive in the Silver Spring Corporate Park, where the company's current headquarters are located. The building is across the street from the main Kohl's building and next to the company's 24,000-square-foot wellness center. Kohl's also has agreed to buy the 28,000-square-foot former ProHealth medical building at W165 N5595 Creekwood Crossing, across from the Silver Spring Corporate Park. The company is opting to purchase these two buildings to accommodate its growth, instead of going forward with construction at Woodland Prime.
The buildings altogether would create Kohl's corporate campus. The Village Board in 2012 created the corporate campus designation, which means one or more tax parcels of land on at least 40 acres for a corporate or divisional headquarters that contains 2,500 or more employees.
Kohl's plans to have an estimated 4,500 employees on 96 acres of land when the entire campus is renovated, according to village documents.
"Once the corporate campus designation is in place they have the ability within the parameters in that designation to move forward with all future improvements and upgrades and wouldn't have to come back through a public process, and it creates a campus rather than a one building site," Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said.
Kohl's plans to start renovations at its headquarters as early as spring, he said.
The building on Ridgewood Drive will ultimately house the company's information technology facility. The ProHealth building will house an expanded wellness center and fitness facility for Kohl's employees. The current wellness center will be converted into a child care center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- CMH nurse honored by Blood Center of Wisconsin for going beyond the call of duty
- Rep. Brandtjen Introduces Foodshare Bill
- Falls Patio Players takes to the stage for weekend two of "Hairspray"
- Family members react to survival of Falls native in Everest avalanche following earthquake in Nepal
- Investigation: Family behind collapsed Falls building has a history of neglecting properties (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Apriil 30
- Falls board plans to move ahead with private property sewer lateral work
- Menomonee Falls Police report: April 30, 2015
- Falls police representatives invite public to chat over coffee (1)
- Germantown School Board could make decision about space needs at Rockfield Elementary School