Menomonee Falls — The Menomonee Falls Village Board last week unanimously voted to not have a primary election Feb. 18 for Seats No. 1 and No. 2, opting instead to put all the candidates on the April 1 ballot.
The board chose to only have an April election in an effort to save money.
There are three seats open on the Village Board. Michael McDonald, Katie Kress and Chris Rolenc are in the running for Seat No. 1. This seat is currently held by Sharon Ellis, who did not file for re-election.
Kevel Anderson, Timothy Newman and Chris Smolik are running for Seat No. 2. This seat is currently vacant as it was held by James Jeskewitz, who died in November. Joseph Helm was the only person to file for Seat No. 3, which currently belongs to Dennis Farrell. Farrell did not file candidacy.
The cost of a primary election was estimated to be $30,000, Menomonee Falls Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said. The board, he said, decided they don't want to pay that cost, and instead opted to put everyone's name on the April 1 ballot.
The Falls board had three days after the nomination papers were due to decide if they are going to have a primary. The deadline to file was 5 p.m. Jan. 7.
— Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wisconsin's first Pirtek USA location to open in Menomonee Falls
- Newman will not seek third term as Menomonee Falls Village Board president
- Menomonee Falls School District's lobbying efforts likely to conclude in January
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Dec. 11, 2014
- Four to be added to Menomonee Falls High School Wall of Recognition
- Menomonee Falls' Village Centre features variety of new business offerings
- 'Uberdork' opens arms to Menomonee Falls community
- Community Memorial Hospital seeks approval for major improvements
- Pilgrim Road reconstruction begins, to be completed next year