Menomonee Falls — "The proliferation of drugs, especially heroin and its use, is reaching epidemic proportions, even in Waukesha County."
This is a quote heard more than once recently, made by law enforcement officials in the county. To raise the awareness levels of residents and especially parents to this growing problem, a community gathering will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 26 at Holy Cross Lutheran Church, N8131 Pilgrim Road, just south of the crossroads of Appleton Avenue and Pilgrim Road. All are invited to attend, especially parents, grandparents and educators.
Holy Cross agreed to promote and host the gathering. The idea to call the community together came about as a result of an outreach to law enforcement by its pastoral staff wanting to identify issues in the community that the church, with its resources, could help addressing. Menomonee Falls Police Chief Anna Ruzinski alerted Pastor Musaus to the problem, and informed her of its seriousness.
The gathering features speakers including Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel; Capt. Frank McElderry, Metro Drug Unit, Waukesha County; representatives of the Department of Justice from Madison, the Menomonee Falls Police Department and parents who have had to face the loss of a child to this insidious drug.
The urgency of the matter requires the attention of all of us as soon as possible. We encourage the public at large to attend.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hamilton senior taking a unique path
- Falls school board delays action on priorities
- Menomonee Falls High School prepares for London visit in 2015
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Nov. 20, 2014
- Menomonee Falls schools welcome more than 100 visitors to explore continuous improvement model
- UberDork Cafe opens in Falls
- Menomonee Falls approves Kwik Trip plans
- Menomonee Falls approves flat tax rate for 2015
- Menomonee Falls School Board lobbies for funding, local control
- Fundraising party for childhood cancer honors Graham's memory