Menomonee Falls ranked as one of the safest communities in U.S.
Village only Wisconsin municipality to make list, chief says
Menomonee Falls — Looking for a safe community? Trustees learned Monday night that a national Website has placed the village on its list of the nation's 100 safest communities.
NeighborhoodScout, a Website that offers prospective home buyers data on school ratings, crime statistics and property value appreciation, ranked Menomonee Falls 62nd among communities with more than 25,000 residents. The data is compiled from FBI crime reports for 2012.
Police Chief Anna Ruzinski said the village was the only Wisconsin community on the list.
Menomonee Falls reported 0.39 violent crimes per 1,000 residents in 2012, and 11.4 property crimes per 1,000 in 2012, the chief told the Village Board. She said the national medians were 3.9 and 28.6 per 1,000 residents respectively, while the Wisconsin medians were 2.8 and 24.5, respectively.
The chief credited Menomonee Falls' low crime rate to "the hard work of the Menomonee Falls Police Department, and the way we interact with the community."
Village President Randall Newman complimented the chief and the department, remarking that "we know those numbers are great, and you work on improving those every day."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What residents in Southeast Wisconsin need to know to prevent the spread of Zika virus
- New Director of Business Services for the School District of Menomonee Falls settling into new role
- School District of Menomonee Falls faces $1.1 million budget deficit in 2016-17
- Man guilty of sexually assaulting Menomonee Falls teenager forced into relationship with him
- Things To Do: Feb. 11, 2016
- Patio Players bring out the laughs in female 'Odd Couple'
- UPDATE: Nine crashes, 25 damaged vehicles reported in Feb. 9 crash on Highway 41 in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- School District of Menomonee Falls could lose administrative staff member Gary Kiltz to Greendale
- The Falls Guy, Feb. 11, 2016: Not quite Super