Menomonee Falls ranked as one of the safest communities in U.S.
Village only Wisconsin municipality to make list, chief says
Menomonee Falls — Looking for a safe community? Trustees learned Monday night that a national Website has placed the village on its list of the nation's 100 safest communities.
NeighborhoodScout, a Website that offers prospective home buyers data on school ratings, crime statistics and property value appreciation, ranked Menomonee Falls 62nd among communities with more than 25,000 residents. The data is compiled from FBI crime reports for 2012.
Police Chief Anna Ruzinski said the village was the only Wisconsin community on the list.
Menomonee Falls reported 0.39 violent crimes per 1,000 residents in 2012, and 11.4 property crimes per 1,000 in 2012, the chief told the Village Board. She said the national medians were 3.9 and 28.6 per 1,000 residents respectively, while the Wisconsin medians were 2.8 and 24.5, respectively.
The chief credited Menomonee Falls' low crime rate to "the hard work of the Menomonee Falls Police Department, and the way we interact with the community."
Village President Randall Newman complimented the chief and the department, remarking that "we know those numbers are great, and you work on improving those every day."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls Village Board President candidates say they each would bring different experience to the role
- Menomonee Falls approves preliminary layoff notices, letter to legislators on proposed state budget
- Temporary burn ban lifted for Waukesha County, Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 26, 2015
- Menomonee Falls family heads up local shoe drive for Dondo Amor
- Proposed bill would allow Germantown school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Proposed bill would allow Falls school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Falls school board to review, approve layoff notices
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 19, 2015
- Falls-based Bradley Corporation recieves nod for wellness efforts