Menomonee Falls School District approves small staff reductions
Up to 30 people will get notices, many in response to a request for shorter hours
Menomonee Falls — The School Board on Monday night unanimously authorized issuance of up to 30 staff non-renewal notices, as part of a preliminary plan that would cut existing staffing by 7.15 full-time equivalents.
The cuts include two FTE teaching positions at the elementary level, assorted positions equating to 1.54 FTEs at the high school, and reductions in special education staffing. The net recommended reduction would be 4.03 FTEs, due to new staffing proposals, including a "math interventionist" in elementary schools and a computer repair technician.
"I don't want to scare the staff," Christiane Standlee, district director of human resources, told the board, adding that non-renewals include partial non-renewals and any reductions due to employee performance concerns. "Many were at the request of staff themselves," she said, if, for example, they wanted to work reduced hours, including job-sharing situations.
Don't use the term "layoff," Standlee told the board.
"We don't have layoffs anymore," she said. "That is a term that goes with collective bargaining," and the unions that had represented district employees have all decertified under the provisions of the state's 2011 Act 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Students help break ground for Rockfield addition
- Getting to know Dennis Farrell
- Scion Dental awarded the management of 650,000 through Maryland Healthy Smiles program
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Nov. 26, 2015
- Shady Lane Elementary offers students buddy bench on playground
- Kohl's, Bartolotta team up to service Menomonee Falls corporate campus
- Alto-Shaam granted Patriot Award for support of employee in the National Guard
- Social Haus proposal for Menomonee Falls moves forward with extended indoor, limited outdoor hours (2)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Nov. 19, 2015
- Falls Guy, Nov. 19, 2015: It's time to turn the page