Menomonee Falls School District approves small staff reductions
Up to 30 people will get notices, many in response to a request for shorter hours
Menomonee Falls — The School Board on Monday night unanimously authorized issuance of up to 30 staff non-renewal notices, as part of a preliminary plan that would cut existing staffing by 7.15 full-time equivalents.
The cuts include two FTE teaching positions at the elementary level, assorted positions equating to 1.54 FTEs at the high school, and reductions in special education staffing. The net recommended reduction would be 4.03 FTEs, due to new staffing proposals, including a "math interventionist" in elementary schools and a computer repair technician.
"I don't want to scare the staff," Christiane Standlee, district director of human resources, told the board, adding that non-renewals include partial non-renewals and any reductions due to employee performance concerns. "Many were at the request of staff themselves," she said, if, for example, they wanted to work reduced hours, including job-sharing situations.
Don't use the term "layoff," Standlee told the board.
"We don't have layoffs anymore," she said. "That is a term that goes with collective bargaining," and the unions that had represented district employees have all decertified under the provisions of the state's 2011 Act 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Menomonee Falls Dance Team to compete in kick, jazz at state competition Feb. 6
- Menomonee Falls Comprehensive Plan complete, set for possible approval this spring
- Park plans include upgrades to Village Park, new park on southwest side in Menomonee Falls
- School District of Menomonee Falls to continue examining results of one-time Badger exam
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Menomonee Falls board to review plans for improvements to Village Park, new park on southwest side
- Students host "Red Out" game at Menomonee Falls High School
- Ally's Bistro begins construction on expansion; slated to finish in June (1)
- School District of Menomonee Falls approves Sept. 1 start date