Menomonee Falls — The old Pick 'n Save storefront on County Line Road and Appleton Avenue will not stand vacant for long. Hobby Lobby has announced it will open its 16th Wisconsin location in the site of the former Pick 'n Save building at the Crossroads Shopping Center.
Construction will soon begin on the 61,000-square-foot building, expected to open later this year, resulting in the creation of as many as 50 jobs.
A local flair for the arts is among the reasons Hobby Lobby Vice President of Advertising John Schumacher cited for the decision to bring Hobby Lobby to Menomonee Falls.
"Menomonee Falls and its surrounding area have many vibrant crafting communities that we look forward to serving," he said.
The addition of the store will "complete the puzzle," said Director of Community Development Matt Carran, who confirmed the facade will be redone to match the other improvements. The center received a face-lift last year that involved moving Pick 'n Save next to its former location and upgraded storefronts for existing businesses in the strip mall, including Bath and Body Works and GameStop.
The new store means no more driving up to the next closest location in West Bend for Menomonee Falls resident Roberta Packard, who said she is looking forward to the small-town feel the store brings to crafting.
"They have everything you need and everything you don't need," she said, adding that she respects the decision of the company to close on Sundays. "There was a time when you couldn't shop on a Sunday because nothing was open. I appreciate the values involved with (Hobby Lobby's) decision to stay closed on Sunday."
The development falls in line with existing zoning, so no it will not require approvals by the village to occupy the space.
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Hobby Lobby
WHERE: Crossroads Shopping Center, intersection of Appleton Avenue and County Line Road
WHEN: upon completion of construction, store hours will be 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday
- Hi-Five Video: Reporter Brittany Seemuth talks top stories in Menomonee Falls area
- FBI raids Menomonee Falls home
- Menomonee Falls' Thomas Jefferson Middle School hosts one last hurrah before demolition
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: June 30, 2016 (3)
- Menomonee Falls Challengers put heart back into the ball game
- Falls Guy, June 30: A new member of the team
- Menomonee Falls to hold forum on East Main Street redevelopment
- Police continue search for suspect in indecent exposure incident in Menomonee Falls
- Tri-County YMCA plans improvements to Menomonee Falls facility, family programming
- Local woman to show off beautiful blooms in Garden Tour