Menomonee Falls — Students in the Menomonee Falls school district will soon have a new way to give back to the community thanks to a new partnership between Menomonee Falls High School and the Menomonee Falls Rotary.
A unique partnership has formed between the school and the organization that foreign language teacher Laurie Wanta said she hopes will inspire teens and the community to engage in local and worldwide humanitarian efforts together.
"It's important to instill a lifelong commitment to service in our youth, and this is a fantastic opportunity to inspire our students," said Wanta, who teaches German and Chinese at the high school and developed the partnership plan.
The partnership carries several purposes, including providing ways for world language students to engage in Rotary humanitarian projects, allowing Rotarians to support high school initiatives that align with Rotary's vision, and to collaborate on one global initiative each year.
"This is a terrific way to reinvigorate our club with youthful energy while inspiring Rotarians of the future," said Rotary Past President Ric Hartman. "We are so pleased to see our teachers and students take an active role in supporting Rotary's local and international initiatives."
The charter partnership, which will go into effect in the 2014-15 school year, features commitments of both the district and the Rotary.
Specifically, the World Language Department pledges to provide student volunteers at Rotarian events, advertise Rotary initiatives at the high school and provide student speakers at meetings.
In exchange, the Rotary agrees to provide adult volunteers at World Language events, provide a speaker at the start of each school year, and provide scholarships to students.
"Menomonee Falls Rotary has played a vital role in community support and engagement for years, and we are honored to be part of and contribute to that," Wanta said.
- Farmers markets springing to life in Sussex, Butler, Menomonee Falls
- Old Falls Village Days set for June 4-5
- Street festival to mark Memorial Day in Menomonee Falls (1)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- The 'wurst' idea for the best summer
- Load your basket with these picnic tips
- Something for all us to scream about: Ice cream tips for a hot, hot summer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Menomonee Falls North Middle School seventh-grader to compete at National Spelling Bee (1)
- Overnight closure of Highway 45 at I-41/US 45 split