Menomonee Falls — Students in the Menomonee Falls school district will soon have a new way to give back to the community thanks to a new partnership between Menomonee Falls High School and the Menomonee Falls Rotary.
A unique partnership has formed between the school and the organization that foreign language teacher Laurie Wanta said she hopes will inspire teens and the community to engage in local and worldwide humanitarian efforts together.
"It's important to instill a lifelong commitment to service in our youth, and this is a fantastic opportunity to inspire our students," said Wanta, who teaches German and Chinese at the high school and developed the partnership plan.
The partnership carries several purposes, including providing ways for world language students to engage in Rotary humanitarian projects, allowing Rotarians to support high school initiatives that align with Rotary's vision, and to collaborate on one global initiative each year.
"This is a terrific way to reinvigorate our club with youthful energy while inspiring Rotarians of the future," said Rotary Past President Ric Hartman. "We are so pleased to see our teachers and students take an active role in supporting Rotary's local and international initiatives."
The charter partnership, which will go into effect in the 2014-15 school year, features commitments of both the district and the Rotary.
Specifically, the World Language Department pledges to provide student volunteers at Rotarian events, advertise Rotary initiatives at the high school and provide student speakers at meetings.
In exchange, the Rotary agrees to provide adult volunteers at World Language events, provide a speaker at the start of each school year, and provide scholarships to students.
"Menomonee Falls Rotary has played a vital role in community support and engagement for years, and we are honored to be part of and contribute to that," Wanta said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The "voice" of Menomonee Falls sports Jerry Mislang arrested, facing criminal charges
- What residents in Southeast Wisconsin need to know to prevent the spread of Zika virus
- New Director of Business Services for the School District of Menomonee Falls settling into new role
- School District of Menomonee Falls faces $1.1 million budget deficit in 2016-17
- Man guilty of sexually assaulting Menomonee Falls teenager forced into relationship with him
- Things To Do: Feb. 11, 2016
- Patio Players bring out the laughs in female 'Odd Couple'
- UPDATE: Nine crashes, 25 damaged vehicles reported in Feb. 9 crash on Highway 41 in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- School District of Menomonee Falls could lose administrative staff member Gary Kiltz to Greendale