Menomonee Falls — The Menomonee Falls area is becoming somewhat of a bulk shopping destination. Shortly after Costco was announced as the anchor of Whitestone Station, the Milwaukee Common Council has approved the development of a new Sam's Club across the street from Woodman's on Highway 145.
On July 22, the council unanimously approved plans for a new 135,000-square-foot store and a gas station to be built on vacant land at 124th Street and West Bradley Road.
The store will replace its existing location at 76th Street and Calumet Road, which will shut down as a result of the move. Employees of the old store will be offered jobs at the new location, which is expected to start construction by the end of the year.
"The main reason for the move is that we are listening to our members," said Daniel Jenkins, who manages the existing store and will make the move to the new location. "With the change, we will get into a location where our members want us and do so in a larger building with the latest and greatest technology, which will ultimately serve our members better."
When it comes to competing with stores like the new Menomonee Falls Costco, as well as Woodman's across the street, Jenkins said Sam's Club will uphold its standards for serving small business as a means to stand apart from the competition.
"It has been and will continue to be that we are in business for small business," Jenkins said. "We have many different areas throughout the store where we save small businesses time and money."
A call to Woodman's for comment was not returned.
Meanwhile, about four miles away, a new 150,000-square-foot Costco store will anchor a large mixed-use development planned for a 65-acre area south of Highway 41/45 and west of Pilgrim Road formerly occupied by the Stolper Steel/Western Industries factory.
Following the demolition of the factory, the first phase of the development included a 91,000-square-foot Wisconsin Athletic Club and Froedtert Health sports medicine facility, which opened late 2013.
Whitestone Station will also include several other retail buildings totaling about 240,000 square feet, as well as 320 high-end apartments.
A call to Costco for comment was not returned.
- Sports Authority out, other tenants to open soon within Whitestone Station in Menomonee Falls (1)
- Shorewest's Menomonee Falls Office breaks sales record
- Corey Golla to replace Gary Kiltz as Curriculum and Learning Director in Menomonee Falls schools
- Menomonee Falls Police Report, May 5, 2016
- The Falls Guy, May 5, 2016: Cruisin' down memory lane (1)
- Cozzini Bros. to move into Falls Commerce Center
- Getting to know Menomonee Falls Little League President Donald Patten
- Work on Pilgrim Road to begin in Menomonee Falls, will be temporary
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- My Fair Lady takes to the stage in Falls Patio Players production