Waukesha County GOP leaders were able to breathe a big sigh of relief when county sheriff's inspector Eric Severson eaily defeated challenger Tom Alioto, a former Lisbon police sergeant, in the Republican primary election Tuesday, Aug. 12.
These results will likely determine who will be sheriff for the next four years since there is no Democrat running in the heavily Republican county.
Severson earned 32,940 votes compared to Alioto's 5,485.
After the votes were counted, Severson said he was "happy" and "humbled" by the outcome.
"We stuck to our message that qualifications count and the voters sent us a strong message that they want someone who is qualified to serve them and that is what I will be honored to do," Severson added.
Severson has spent 27 years in the county sheriff's department and worked his way up the ranks to become second in command in the department. He was promptly supported by Sheriff Dan Trawicki after Trawicki announced he would not seek reelection after three terms.
Severson has degrees in both criminal justice and communication from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and has attended FBI and DEA academy training.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The "voice" of Menomonee Falls sports Jerry Mislang arrested, facing criminal charges
- What residents in Southeast Wisconsin need to know to prevent the spread of Zika virus
- New Director of Business Services for the School District of Menomonee Falls settling into new role
- School District of Menomonee Falls faces $1.1 million budget deficit in 2016-17
- Man guilty of sexually assaulting Menomonee Falls teenager forced into relationship with him
- Things To Do: Feb. 11, 2016
- Patio Players bring out the laughs in female 'Odd Couple'
- UPDATE: Nine crashes, 25 damaged vehicles reported in Feb. 9 crash on Highway 41 in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- School District of Menomonee Falls could lose administrative staff member Gary Kiltz to Greendale