Menomonee Falls — Advanced Waste is out, and a new tax-incremental financing district could be in. The village's recent settlement with the Milwaukee-based industrial waste treatment business was part of a much larger long-term plan for the area as village officials consider a new industrial TIF district along the east and west sides of Lilly Road, north of Silver Spring Drive in the Manhardt Drive area.
About three weeks after the village board approved a $2.8 million settlement agreement with AWS authorizing the purchase of 21.6 acres of land, an initial meeting of the Joint Review Board was held this morning to review proposed plan for TIF No. 12.
Including what would have been the new home of a ChemWorks industrial waste processing business, the proposed TIF 107.5 acres of land that Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said could become the home to up to seven new light industrial businesses.
The majority of the land within the proposed district is currently zoned for heavy industrial development, so Fitzgerald said something of a smaller scale will be a better fit in the area. The plan includes vacant land in addition to the AWS site, which will be completely redeveloped as part of the estimated $3 million in improvements to the area.
TIF is a mechanism that allows municipalities to borrow money to fund infrastructure improvements for an area that otherwise would be difficult to develop or redevelop. The increased property tax revenue from the improved land is then diverted from the tax roll to pay off the loan.
The Plan Commission will have a special meeting Thursday, August 28 to hold a public hearing and discuss the proposed plans before making a recommendation one way or another to the village board.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Dec. 3, 2015
- Falls Guy, Dec. 3, 2015: Finding some resolve
- Three to be added to Menomonee Falls High School Wall of Recognition
- Menomonee Falls High School alumna bikes 15,000 miles for charity
- Video: Students help break ground for Rockfield addition
- Getting to know Dennis Farrell
- Scion Dental awarded the management of 650,000 through Maryland Healthy Smiles program
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Nov. 26, 2015
- Shady Lane Elementary offers students buddy bench on playground
- Kohl's, Bartolotta team up to service Menomonee Falls corporate campus