Menomonee Falls — Advanced Waste is out, and a new tax-incremental financing district could be in. The village's recent settlement with the Milwaukee-based industrial waste treatment business was part of a much larger long-term plan for the area as village officials consider a new industrial TIF district along the east and west sides of Lilly Road, north of Silver Spring Drive in the Manhardt Drive area.
About three weeks after the village board approved a $2.8 million settlement agreement with AWS authorizing the purchase of 21.6 acres of land, an initial meeting of the Joint Review Board was held this morning to review proposed plan for TIF No. 12.
Including what would have been the new home of a ChemWorks industrial waste processing business, the proposed TIF 107.5 acres of land that Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said could become the home to up to seven new light industrial businesses.
The majority of the land within the proposed district is currently zoned for heavy industrial development, so Fitzgerald said something of a smaller scale will be a better fit in the area. The plan includes vacant land in addition to the AWS site, which will be completely redeveloped as part of the estimated $3 million in improvements to the area.
TIF is a mechanism that allows municipalities to borrow money to fund infrastructure improvements for an area that otherwise would be difficult to develop or redevelop. The increased property tax revenue from the improved land is then diverted from the tax roll to pay off the loan.
The Plan Commission will have a special meeting Thursday, August 28 to hold a public hearing and discuss the proposed plans before making a recommendation one way or another to the village board.
- Menomonee Falls woman dreams of starting whoopie pie dessert bus
- Menomonee Falls man pleads guilty to homicide after killing bicyclist
- Wanakia Wildlife gives a bird's-eye view to Menomonee Falls Nature Camp kids
- Taste of Germantown event to raise funds for pavilion
- Old Falls Village brings Civil War to life
- Menomonee Falls woman arrested for OWI after running over her fiancé
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Sussex's Rotary Equipment Repair adds on 50,000 square feet to facility
- Falls Associated Bank demolition underway, apartment building to bring 'revitalization' to downtown (5)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, July 14, 2016