Menomonee Falls — The Big Pig Gig will not be moving downtown after all.
Instead, the two-day festival will be held at the same location it took place in 2007 and 2008 - at Village Park and North Middle School.
The event, which features award-winning ribs, live music and more, came under scrutiny from residents in May when the Menomonee Falls Chamber of Commerce said it wanted to move it to Main Street.
Organizers thought the event would be more successful if it was downtown. Plans had called for shutting down Main Street between Pilgrim Road and Appleton Avenue during the gig, which takes place on Sept. 17 and 18.
But that plan also needed the approval of downtown businesses and that didn't happen soon enough, said Sue Jeskewitz, the chamber's executive director. Since the event is already scheduled, the chamber decided to move it back to a familiar location.
"Downtown is a nice venue," said Bill Bode, a member of the chamber's Board of Directors. But "the goal is to do the Big Pig Gig overall."
"We were trying to get it done and squared away too quickly," added Bill Nordstrom, the head of the committee putting together the event.
Superintendent Keith Marty told the School Board on Monday the district was asked to help out with the event by allowing North Middle School to host part of it.
The biggest impact the event would have on the district would be with afternoon busing on Sept. 17, said Marty. The Big Pig Gig would shut down Garfield Avenue, which would move busing to the north parking lot.
Marty is working with Johnson Buses to work around that issue. There would be no after-school activities on that day, a Friday, or Sept. 17.
"The event shouldn't affect education, but we do have some responsibility to the community," said Marty.
The chamber still hopes to move the event downtown next year.
Big Pig Gig
WHEN: Sept. 17-18
WHERE: Village Park and North Middle School
MORE INFO: thebigpiggig.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls School District happy with ACT Results
- Falls on the Riverwalk seeks to replace former Associated Bank building with apartments (8)
- Menomonee Falls School District names new communications director
- Chicago duo face nine counts of credit card fraud after CVS purchases
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Former professional fighter takes Menomonee Falls-based business to next level
- Menomonee Falls world language department uses application, receives regional attention
- Menomonee Falls, Germantown among best places to live
- Menomonee Falls Business receives WIA People's Choice award