'Bomb-like' device in Menomonee Falls turns out to be a geocaching canister
Police destroy gaming device
A resident who was out walking her dog called police after she noticed a "bomb-like" device hanging from a tree near the Menomonee Falls water tower on Water Tower Place at about 4:25 p.m. April 27.
According to the responding officers, the device was the size and shape of a soda can and it was covered in black duct tape. The canister was found hanging from a tree branch by a black cord or wire.
Due to the suspicious nature of the canister, the Menomonee Falls Fire Department responded to the scene.
Upon arrival, the battalion chief decided to contact the Milwaukee Police Department Bomb Squad to further investigate the suspicious canister.
When the Milwaukee Bomb Squad arrived and "detonated" the canister with pressurized water, it was discovered the canister was actually a geocaching canister containing a visitors log, a red bead necklace and geotracking instructions.
The canister was turned over to the fire department and destroyed.
Geocaching.com describes geocaching as a "treasure-hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Menomonee Falls Dance Team to compete in kick, jazz at state competition Feb. 6
- Menomonee Falls Comprehensive Plan complete, set for possible approval this spring
- Park plans include upgrades to Village Park, new park on southwest side in Menomonee Falls
- School District of Menomonee Falls to continue examining results of one-time Badger exam
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Menomonee Falls board to review plans for improvements to Village Park, new park on southwest side
- Students host "Red Out" game at Menomonee Falls High School (1)
- Ally's Bistro begins construction on expansion; slated to finish in June (1)
- School District of Menomonee Falls approves Sept. 1 start date