'Bomb-like' device in Menomonee Falls turns out to be a geocaching canister
Police destroy gaming device
A resident who was out walking her dog called police after she noticed a "bomb-like" device hanging from a tree near the Menomonee Falls water tower on Water Tower Place at about 4:25 p.m. April 27.
According to the responding officers, the device was the size and shape of a soda can and it was covered in black duct tape. The canister was found hanging from a tree branch by a black cord or wire.
Due to the suspicious nature of the canister, the Menomonee Falls Fire Department responded to the scene.
Upon arrival, the battalion chief decided to contact the Milwaukee Police Department Bomb Squad to further investigate the suspicious canister.
When the Milwaukee Bomb Squad arrived and "detonated" the canister with pressurized water, it was discovered the canister was actually a geocaching canister containing a visitors log, a red bead necklace and geotracking instructions.
The canister was turned over to the fire department and destroyed.
Geocaching.com describes geocaching as a "treasure-hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls Village Board President candidates say they each would bring different experience to the role
- Menomonee Falls approves preliminary layoff notices, letter to legislators on proposed state budget
- Temporary burn ban lifted for Waukesha County, Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 26, 2015
- Menomonee Falls family heads up local shoe drive for Dondo Amor
- Proposed bill would allow Germantown school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Proposed bill would allow Falls school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Falls school board to review, approve layoff notices
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 19, 2015
- Falls-based Bradley Corporation recieves nod for wellness efforts