'Bomb-like' device in Menomonee Falls turns out to be a geocaching canister
Police destroy gaming device
A resident who was out walking her dog called police after she noticed a "bomb-like" device hanging from a tree near the Menomonee Falls water tower on Water Tower Place at about 4:25 p.m. April 27.
According to the responding officers, the device was the size and shape of a soda can and it was covered in black duct tape. The canister was found hanging from a tree branch by a black cord or wire.
Due to the suspicious nature of the canister, the Menomonee Falls Fire Department responded to the scene.
Upon arrival, the battalion chief decided to contact the Milwaukee Police Department Bomb Squad to further investigate the suspicious canister.
When the Milwaukee Bomb Squad arrived and "detonated" the canister with pressurized water, it was discovered the canister was actually a geocaching canister containing a visitors log, a red bead necklace and geotracking instructions.
The canister was turned over to the fire department and destroyed.
Geocaching.com describes geocaching as a "treasure-hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kohl's announces holiday hiring plans
- Menomonee Falls Police report: September 18, 2014
- Police searching for 2 men for armed robbery at Craigslist sale
- Menomonee Falls Village Board approves sale of Radisson Hotel
- Menomonee Falls High School student named National Merit Scholarship semifinalist
- Menomonee Falls Police report: September 11, 2014
- Kohl's seeks to unload Woodland Prime building
- Trapped: An inside look at the effect of ALS on people, families and the community
- School district taxes remain flat for Menomonee Falls residents
- Menomonee Falls man dies in house fire