Lannon - A proposed ordinance to allow residents to raise chickens in the village has gained support so far without any pecking or debate.
At an Aug. 30 Plan Commission meeting, Village President Jerry Newman said discussion to amend the ordinance to allow raising chickens in residential districts went smoothly.
"The legislative committee, in working the thing up, made it pretty restrictive. It's limited, but you can get your own eggs in Lannon," Newman said.
He said restrictions will include a limit of six chickens, no roosters, limits on the size of the chicken coop, design of the coop and that it must a certain distance from property lines. "And they are only allowed in residential districts, no commercial," Newman added.
The village president said residents have approached officials requesting the ordinance change. "There are probably three or four who will do it," he said.
A public hearing on the ordinance is set for 6:15 p.m. Monday before the Village Board meeting.
Chicken discussions in Lisbon, however, have not gone as smoothly. After already debating it nine months, in spring, officials asked the Plan Commission to continue work on amending the town's ordinance relating to raising poultry.
At issue is discussion of whether town officials can "tweak" rules that apply to raising chickens on lots of 1 acre or more. A resident at the town's annual meeting complained that the town's current rules about raising poultry are confusing, and others have questioned whether they could be too restrictive for residents who live in more rural areas.
However, some officials have said other residents have told them they do not want chickens raised in their neighborhoods. The residents have objected to noise and odors that would result from chickens in the subdivision.
The Plan Commission is slated to continue the discussion today. The meeting begins at 7 p.m.
- Cozzini Bros. to move into Falls Commerce Center
- Getting to know Menomonee Falls Little League President Donald Patten
- Work on Pilgrim Road to begin in Menomonee Falls, will be temporary
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- My Fair Lady takes to the stage in Falls Patio Players production
- Menomonee Falls' A Better Me wellness spa takes unique approach to relaxation
- The Falls Guy, April 21, 2016: Their field of dreams is ready to open
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Menomonee Falls High School FBLA team clinches state for the third year in a row
- Custom Data Too Mail to open in Falls Commerce Center in Menomonee Falls