Anyone who thinks they might have seen a llama wandering through north-central Menomonee Falls on Nov. 20 was not hallucinating.
Following her appearance as the special guest at a pep assembly at Grace Evangelical Lutheran School, W16171 Kenwood Blvd., Lovey the llama was on the loose in the neighborhood for about a half hour.
As Lovey was being led into her trailer following the pep rally, about 3:15 p.m., the llama broke loose and proceeded to run through the nearby residential yards, third-grade teacher Tracy Parker said.
From her vantage point inside the neighboring church, Secretary Barb Baas had what she called a “front row seat” to the action.
“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing,” she said. “She kicked the door open, and it’s like she was off to the races.”
Lovey also escaped owner Kristie Kurtenbach, several parents and Aaron Kuehn, a vicar, who all were reportedly in pursuit.
“Several garbage collectors saw the llama running and attempted to block her with their truck, but she eluded them,” Parker said.
Police also responded, Baas said, based on numerous calls from neighbors reporting sightings of various animals, including a camel and a horse.
“I guess (Lovey) wandered right up to the kitchen window of someone who lives nearby who was washing dishes,” Baas said.
Ultimately, it was Kuehn who wrangled Lovey near Main Street and Pilgrim Road.
“Lovey was captured by our vicar getting in front of her and jumping, waving his arms and yelling really loudly,” Parker said. “Lovey was then led back to her trailer without further incident.”
The cheerleading uniform Lovey had worn for the assembly had been removed prior to her escapade.
Ty Finke can be reached at (262) 446-6621.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What to expect on the Nov. 4 ballot
- Learning is sweet for students when Stacy Leuty is in the classroom
- Taxes to go down for Falls school district residents
- U.S. Department of Labor fines local company more than $130,000 for violations, endangering employee
- Why Menomonee Falls and Germantown might be starting to bounce back post-recession
- Car salesman allegedly stole dealership vehicle, crashed it while drunk
- Menomonee Falls author donates book proceeds to Wounded Warriors
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 22 Voter's Guide
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Menomonee Falls Associated Bank
- Man accused of trying to steal a car from his former employer