Anyone who thinks they might have seen a llama wandering through north-central Menomonee Falls on Nov. 20 was not hallucinating.
Following her appearance as the special guest at a pep assembly at Grace Evangelical Lutheran School, W16171 Kenwood Blvd., Lovey the llama was on the loose in the neighborhood for about a half hour.
As Lovey was being led into her trailer following the pep rally, about 3:15 p.m., the llama broke loose and proceeded to run through the nearby residential yards, third-grade teacher Tracy Parker said.
From her vantage point inside the neighboring church, Secretary Barb Baas had what she called a “front row seat” to the action.
“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing,” she said. “She kicked the door open, and it’s like she was off to the races.”
Lovey also escaped owner Kristie Kurtenbach, several parents and Aaron Kuehn, a vicar, who all were reportedly in pursuit.
“Several garbage collectors saw the llama running and attempted to block her with their truck, but she eluded them,” Parker said.
Police also responded, Baas said, based on numerous calls from neighbors reporting sightings of various animals, including a camel and a horse.
“I guess (Lovey) wandered right up to the kitchen window of someone who lives nearby who was washing dishes,” Baas said.
Ultimately, it was Kuehn who wrangled Lovey near Main Street and Pilgrim Road.
“Lovey was captured by our vicar getting in front of her and jumping, waving his arms and yelling really loudly,” Parker said. “Lovey was then led back to her trailer without further incident.”
The cheerleading uniform Lovey had worn for the assembly had been removed prior to her escapade.
Ty Finke can be reached at (262) 446-6621.
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- Menomonee Falls North Middle School seventh-grader to compete at National Spelling Bee
- Street festival to mark Memorial Day in Menomonee Falls
- "TJ Walkers" bid farewell to Thomas Jefferson as their winter walking destination (2)
- Menomonee Falls Police Report: May 19, 2016
- The 'wurst' idea for the best summer
- Load your basket with these picnic tips
- Something for all us to scream about: Ice cream tips for a hot, hot summer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Overnight closure of Highway 45 at I-41/US 45 split