Menomonee Falls - A fire that erupted Friday at a Shady Lane Nursery greenhouse destroyed a greenhouse structure, Christmas plants and equipment.
Though the structures themselves are not that expensive, said Menomonee Falls Fire Chief Jeff Hevey, the destroyed contents lost are anticipated to be costly. The amount of damages were unknown by the time this article went to print as insurance was working up an estimate for the nursery, Hevey said Tuesday morning.
The fire that started at 11:48 a.m. Friday at the nursery, N7388 Shady Lane, is under investigation; however, Hevey said it was most likely caused by a welding project that started some of the greenhouse insulation on fire.
"The fire progressed rapidly after they noticed it," Hevey said.
No employees or firefighters were injured during the incident. The fire was extinguished by 2:19 p.m. and caused a partial collapse of the building. A power line also fell across the roof of the greenhouse.
The nursery has since opened back up for business.
Responding crews included Butler, the city of Brookfield, Elm Grove, Germantown, Lannon, Lisbon, Mequon, Merton, North Shore, Richfield, Sussex, Wauwatosa and the Waukesha County Rehab Unit.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Olive Garden backs out of Germantown development
- Falls, Germantown host Memorial Day events
- Flipping to the future: Teaching technique gains ground
- News & Notes: May 21
- Menomonee Falls approves pet boarding, retail business
- Police Report: May 20
- Amnesty Club hosts benefit for the Water Project
- Menomonee Falls downtown hosts art walk, duck derby
- Menomonee Falls girl honoree of Arthritis Walk
- Menomonee Falls School District prepares for assessment changes at state level