Menomonee Falls School District prioritizes building security
Shady Lane would be first school to change
Menomonee Falls - The Menomonee Falls School District is taking steps to ensure the security of its buildings.
The School Board on Monday discussed how it prioritizes and funds security issues and updates in the district, at the request of parent James Vanderheyden, who expressed concerns about a recent incident at the high school in which a student allowed a nonstudent into the building through a secured door.
High School Principal Corey Golla said the message is being communicated to students that maintaining a secure building is a serious matter, and that any security breaches will involve serious consequences.
At the district level, board member David Noshay said the district is in the process of implementing a five-year facilities plan and will be taking steps to enhance building security during the next several months.
Particularly, Superintendent Patricia Greco said the district anticipates that by June it could transition the entrances of Shady Lane Elementary and the Community Education & Recreation buildings so that visitors are forced to enter directly into the office area after the start of the school day.
"Full camera systems we're talking about for all of the buildings, but those would be the two buildings that would be advanced quickly," Greco added.
Greco said the district administrative team works with the police department on an annual basis to evaluate and update safety response plans for each of its buildings as needed.
Taking into consideration recent national events, "Even the recommendations they had three years ago have shifted," she said.
With regard to funding security-related improvements, "We've shifted funds from other areas to do everything we humanly can, based on proposals from the administration," Noshay said.
- Old Falls Village Days set for June 4-5
- Street festival to mark Memorial Day in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- The 'wurst' idea for the best summer
- Load your basket with these picnic tips
- Something for all us to scream about: Ice cream tips for a hot, hot summer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Menomonee Falls North Middle School seventh-grader to compete at National Spelling Bee
- Overnight closure of Highway 45 at I-41/US 45 split
- "TJ Walkers" bid farewell to Thomas Jefferson as their winter walking destination (2)