The Village Board on Monday night unanimously moved forward with the construction of two new fire stations in Menomonee Falls.
A new Fire Station No. 1 will be constructed at the southwest corner of Main Street and Menomonee Avenue, following the demolition of the former Sunnyside School.
The station will replace the existing Fire Station No. 1 downtown, which village officials have said needs renovation and doesn't have enough room to house administration, living space, and the necessary vehicles.
Arlyn Johnson, public works director for the village, also pointed to bad location as a reason for relocating.
"Being located along Appleton Avenue near the intersection of Appleton Avenue and Main Street, access to the facility can be difficult during times when traffic is backed up at the traffic signal along Appleton Avenue blocking the driveway to the fire station."
The board did opt to amend the proposed plan to incorporate cautionary flashing light signals on Main Street, due to the 40 mph speed limit in the area. The amendment will be subject to approval by Waukesha County, as it is a county highway.
"The speed limit on that road isn't a typical street," said Village Board President Randy Newman.
"I could see if I was only going 25 miles per hour, but I would like some warning out there."
The cost of the new Station No. 1 is estimated at $2,750,000, according to the plan, which is slightly more than the estimated $2,585,000 cost of constructing Fire Station No. 5, which will be built on West Silver Spring Drive on village-owned land next to Well House No. 10.
"This station is necessary to serve future development that is occurring in the south west area of the village," Johnson said, "as well as to reduce response time for calls within this area."
Construction on both buildings is slated to being in May, with estimated completion dates of December 2014.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Menomonee Falls Dance Team to compete in kick, jazz at state competition Feb. 6
- Menomonee Falls Comprehensive Plan complete, set for possible approval this spring
- Park plans include upgrades to Village Park, new park on southwest side in Menomonee Falls
- School District of Menomonee Falls to continue examining results of one-time Badger exam
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Menomonee Falls board to review plans for improvements to Village Park, new park on southwest side
- Students host "Red Out" game at Menomonee Falls High School (1)
- Ally's Bistro begins construction on expansion; slated to finish in June (1)
- School District of Menomonee Falls approves Sept. 1 start date