Menomonee Falls - It's a busy time for clerk services at the village of Menomonee Falls as staff members prepare for an influx of absentee voters and continue to seek poll workers for the Nov. 6 election.
Village personnel expect 7,000 residents to vote by absentee ballot before polls open, Village Clerk Janice Moyer said during a presentation to the Village Board on Monday. That is about a 30 percent voter turnout before polls even open.
In the presidential election four years ago, about 4,000 people absentee voted in person. More than 700 requests have been made for absentee ballots so far this year. Four years ago, 6,000 people requested absentee ballots, Moyer said.
Ballots will be delivered to the village this week, and residents who requested ballots will receive them in the mail soon. Nov. 1 is the last day to request an absentee ballot be mailed. In-person absentee voting will be open from Oct. 22 to 5 p.m. Nov. 2.
There is still a need for 15 poll workers to volunteer at one of the 10 polling locations.
"We need more poll workers or it will be a longer line," Moyer said.
"Here's an opportunity for people to serve, and it will be a great opportunity," Village President Randy Newman said.
Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 6. District maps that list polling locations are located in the lobby at Village Hall and the Menomonee Falls Public Library, N8436 Pilgrim Road.
Voter registration forms need to be postmarked and returned to the village by Oct. 17, or registration can take place at the polls Nov. 6. Moyer said the earlier voters register the better.
Oct. 10 is the last day to establish residency in Menomonee Falls, Moyer said. Voters who move to Falls after Oct. 10 are allowed to vote in their previous place of residency.
WHAT: become a Menomonee Falls poll worker
CONTACT: (262) 532-4212
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 22 Voter's Guide
- Award-winning filmmaker to air film locally on Oct. 29
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Menomonee Falls Associated Bank
- Commercial development will be allowed at Falls gateway intersection
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Falls Associated Bank
- Man accused of trying to steal a car from his former employer
- New Berlin tax rate to stay flat due to increase in city's tax base
- Community Memorial Hospital, Washington County ready for potential Ebola outbreak
- Prince of Peace open house welcomes new pastor, features family activities
- Menomonee Falls board to review land-use amendment