Menomonee Falls - After work was pushed back in early summer, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's pedestrian bridge in Menomonee Falls is officially under construction.
The 365-foot long, 9.7-feet wide pedestrian bridge connects Water Street over Highways 41/45 and arches over six lanes of interstate traffic.
Construction that will update both the facade and structure of the bridge began Sept. 10 and is projected to be complete by mid-November, said Michael Pyritz, communications manager for the DOT. The bridge connects Water Street on both sides of the freeway and acts as a gateway into the village from Highway 41.
Delays are expected to be minimal as most of the work will be done on the weekends and overnight.
The project that has been a long time coming for the DOT includes blast-cleaning and painting of the structural steel, concrete work on the deck, and removal and replacement of the protective fence and lighting.
New approaches will be built on both ends of the bridge where it flows downward to the pedestrian sidewalks.
"It's been an extremely long time since work has been done on the bridge, and it was in a dire need of being rebuilt," Pyritz said.
The project costs about $621,000, with 80 percent being federally funded and 20 percent being funded by the state.
The addition of decorative lighting will be covered 80 percent by federal funding. The village of Menomonee Falls will cover 18 percent of that cost and the state will cover 2 percent, Pyritz said.
- Danielle Switalski
- Farmers markets springing to life in Sussex, Butler, Menomonee Falls
- Old Falls Village Days set for June 4-5
- Street festival to mark Memorial Day in Menomonee Falls (1)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- The 'wurst' idea for the best summer
- Load your basket with these picnic tips
- Something for all us to scream about: Ice cream tips for a hot, hot summer
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Menomonee Falls North Middle School seventh-grader to compete at National Spelling Bee (1)
- Overnight closure of Highway 45 at I-41/US 45 split