The Menomonee Falls Police Department is warning residents about a new cyber scam that poses as a criminal complaint center, freezes someone's computer and requires payment for it to be unlocked.
The latest version of the ransomware uses the name of "Internet Crime Complaint Center" to frighten victims into sending money to the perpetrators, according to the Police Department. This version of the malware also claims that the user's computer activity is being recorded using audio, video and other devices.
The cyber-scam lures victims to a drive-by download website, at which time the ransomware is installed on the user's computer. Once installed, the computer freezes and a screen is displayed warning the user they have violated United States Federal Law. The message further declares that a law enforcement agency has determined that a computer using the victim's IP address has accessed child pornography and other illegal content, according to the Police Department's news release.
To unlock the computer from being frozen, the user is instructed to pay a fine using prepaid money card services. The geographic location of the user's PC determines what payment services are offered. The malware then continues to operate on the compromised computer and can be used to commit online banking and credit card fraud.
For information about this scam or to report Internet abuse, contact the Menomonee Falls Police Department by calling (262) 532-8700.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What residents in Southeast Wisconsin need to know to prevent the spread of Zika virus
- New Director of Business Services for the School District of Menomonee Falls settling into new role
- School District of Menomonee Falls faces $1.1 million budget deficit in 2016-17
- Man guilty of sexually assaulting Menomonee Falls teenager forced into relationship with him
- Things To Do: Feb. 11, 2016
- Patio Players bring out the laughs in female 'Odd Couple'
- UPDATE: Nine crashes, 25 damaged vehicles reported in Feb. 9 crash on Highway 41 in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- School District of Menomonee Falls could lose administrative staff member Gary Kiltz to Greendale
- The Falls Guy, Feb. 11, 2016: Not quite Super