Falls School Board set to approve 2013-14 calendar
Changes would increase instruction time for students
The Menomonee Falls School Board is poised to adopt the district's 2013-14 school year calendar, which would include weekly early release days.
Superintendent Patricia Greco on Monday presented to the board another update on the proposed calendar.
The district has gone through four different versions of the calendar since it was first proposed last fall, Greco said. The main changes proposed include recommendations to release students approximately one hour early each Wednesday and to require additional work days for teachers throughout the year.
New teachers would be required to work three additional days before the start of the school year, Greco said. Two days for teachers of prekindergarten through fifth grade would also be reserved for conducting student assessments before the start of the school year, she added.
The calendar eliminates half days for students as well as some full days at certain times. For example, students would be off one day instead of two for parent-teacher conferences in October, Greco said, and would return to school one day earlier following winter break.
The total number of instructional minutes for students would actually increase slightly under the proposed calendar, Greco said.
On early release days, teachers would be using the extra hour to discuss student growth and performance, including analyzing student data, determining progress and planning for intervention and acceleration, in order to address changes at the state level in performance benchmarks and measurement.
The district recently received individual report cards for each student from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, showing how students compare to international benchmark standards. Those report cards will be mailed out to families within the next two weeks, Greco said.
Since the board last discussed the calendar, an additional questions-and-answers document and updated proposed calendar have been provided to district families, she said.
The board is expected to take action on the proposed 2013-14 calendar at its Feb. 25 meeting.
- Cozzini Bros. to move into Falls Commerce Center
- Getting to know Menomonee Falls Little League President Donald Patten
- Work on Pilgrim Road to begin in Menomonee Falls, will be temporary
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- My Fair Lady takes to the stage in Falls Patio Players production
- Menomonee Falls' A Better Me wellness spa takes unique approach to relaxation
- The Falls Guy, April 21, 2016: Their field of dreams is ready to open
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Menomonee Falls High School FBLA team clinches state for the third year in a row
- Custom Data Too Mail to open in Falls Commerce Center in Menomonee Falls