Falls School Board set to approve 2013-14 calendar
Changes would increase instruction time for students
The Menomonee Falls School Board is poised to adopt the district's 2013-14 school year calendar, which would include weekly early release days.
Superintendent Patricia Greco on Monday presented to the board another update on the proposed calendar.
The district has gone through four different versions of the calendar since it was first proposed last fall, Greco said. The main changes proposed include recommendations to release students approximately one hour early each Wednesday and to require additional work days for teachers throughout the year.
New teachers would be required to work three additional days before the start of the school year, Greco said. Two days for teachers of prekindergarten through fifth grade would also be reserved for conducting student assessments before the start of the school year, she added.
The calendar eliminates half days for students as well as some full days at certain times. For example, students would be off one day instead of two for parent-teacher conferences in October, Greco said, and would return to school one day earlier following winter break.
The total number of instructional minutes for students would actually increase slightly under the proposed calendar, Greco said.
On early release days, teachers would be using the extra hour to discuss student growth and performance, including analyzing student data, determining progress and planning for intervention and acceleration, in order to address changes at the state level in performance benchmarks and measurement.
The district recently received individual report cards for each student from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, showing how students compare to international benchmark standards. Those report cards will be mailed out to families within the next two weeks, Greco said.
Since the board last discussed the calendar, an additional questions-and-answers document and updated proposed calendar have been provided to district families, she said.
The board is expected to take action on the proposed 2013-14 calendar at its Feb. 25 meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Temporary burn ban lifted for Waukesha County, Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 26, 2015
- Menomonee Falls family heads up local shoe drive for Dondo Amor
- Proposed bill would allow Germantown school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Proposed bill would allow Falls school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Falls school board to review, approve layoff notices
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 19, 2015
- Falls-based Bradley Corporation recieves nod for wellness efforts
- No one hurt in overnight car fire in Menomonee Falls
- Costco purchases 15 acres to build new Menomonee Falls store