Menomonee Falls - Students in the Menomonee Falls High School class of 2012 who took the ACT outscored their peers around the state as more students opted to take the test.
The ACT test is a national assessment that many universities in the Midwest use in the admissions process. The overall composite ACT score for the class of 2012 was 22.9, eight-tenths of a point higher than the state average of 22.1.
The composite score is lower than the past two years; however, more Menomonee Falls seniors took the ACT test than in the past five years.
"We are focused, though, not just on the score but on getting more students participating so they, too, get the feedback on their college preparation," Superintendent Patricia Greco said. "We could limit participation and focus on the score or focus on both, that is our target."
There were 291 students who took the test, which is 12 more than last year and 29 more than five years ago, according to the Menomonee Falls School District. This means 73.1 percent of students in grade 12 took the ACT.
"The teachers are working very closely on the curricular alignment and the efforts are paying off," Greco said. "We remain focused on increasing the participation rates and keeping the score levels high."
The class of 2011 had a composite score of 23.1 and 23 the prior year.
"Students from the Falls realize the benefits of going into higher education and pursuing further studies in order to advance career opportunities," Director of Curriculum and Learning Gary Kiltz said.
The ACT is a 36-point test that gauges students' skills in English, math, reading and science.
The average English score was 22.4, slightly lower than scores in the past two years.
Greco said individual scores in reading and science remain high, and the math score increased slightly. The average score in math was 22.8. In 2010-11, the average score in math was 22.6. The average reading score was 23, lower than last year's score; however, those scores are still higher than they have been since the 2004-2005 school year.
"Our target is improving our cross content vocabulary development because our English score is the one that dipped a little and that is typically tied to work analysis and vocabulary development," Greco said.
|Menomonee Falls High School ACT scores|
|Total grade 12 fall enrollment||Number of students tested||Average composite score||State average composite score|
|2011-12||391||286 (73.1 percent)||22.9||22.1|
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls Village Board President candidates say they each would bring different experience to the role
- Menomonee Falls approves preliminary layoff notices, letter to legislators on proposed state budget
- Temporary burn ban lifted for Waukesha County, Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 26, 2015
- Menomonee Falls family heads up local shoe drive for Dondo Amor
- Proposed bill would allow Germantown school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Proposed bill would allow Falls school district to start prior to Sept. 1
- Falls school board to review, approve layoff notices
- Menomonee Falls Police report: March 19, 2015
- Falls-based Bradley Corporation recieves nod for wellness efforts