Menomonee Avenue is getting a much-needed face-lift. Work is expected to begin in late May on the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
At an estimated cost of $199,879, the work will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road that former village trustee Sharon Ellis called "horrendous."
It's an effort Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
"We've been putting off doing anything on Menomonee Avenue because we wanted to redo some of the subsurface work," explained Village Board President Randy Newman. "This is not rebuilding the whole road, which was the intention, but it will remove all the patches and dips and all the other problems so we can have a good road surface at least through 2018."
That is when Fitzgerald is hopeful the state will approve what will be the third request for help funding the project, which is estimated to cost more than $3 million when the time comes. If funding is approved, the project cost will be split 80/20 between the state and the village.
"It's so substantial that we feel we need to continue to work to qualify for the funding," Fitzgerald said. "(In the meantime) it simply can't hold up anymore. We all drive Menomonee. We all know that's a fact."
It is the first attempt by the village to undertake a paving project like this, Fitzgerald explained, and it will not be the last if it proves successful. Work is expected to happen within a few weeks, and offer a significantly better road surface than what is currently there.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- World War II, Korea vet Mathiak dies
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Civil War encampment and ice cream social at Old Falls Village
- Wheeling for Healing bike ride scheduled for Aug. 8 supports the Cancer Care Center
- Tornado Brewing opens location in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Comedian has eyes on a brighter future
- Menomonee Falls has a sweet way to remove hair
- Menomonee Falls water report now available online
- The Community league hosts their first ever garden tour in Menomonee Falls