Menomonee Avenue is getting a much-needed face-lift. Work is expected to begin in late May on the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
At an estimated cost of $199,879, the work will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road that former village trustee Sharon Ellis called "horrendous."
It's an effort Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
"We've been putting off doing anything on Menomonee Avenue because we wanted to redo some of the subsurface work," explained Village Board President Randy Newman. "This is not rebuilding the whole road, which was the intention, but it will remove all the patches and dips and all the other problems so we can have a good road surface at least through 2018."
That is when Fitzgerald is hopeful the state will approve what will be the third request for help funding the project, which is estimated to cost more than $3 million when the time comes. If funding is approved, the project cost will be split 80/20 between the state and the village.
"It's so substantial that we feel we need to continue to work to qualify for the funding," Fitzgerald said. "(In the meantime) it simply can't hold up anymore. We all drive Menomonee. We all know that's a fact."
It is the first attempt by the village to undertake a paving project like this, Fitzgerald explained, and it will not be the last if it proves successful. Work is expected to happen within a few weeks, and offer a significantly better road surface than what is currently there.
- Cozzini Bros. to move into Falls Commerce Center
- Getting to know Menomonee Falls Little League President Donald Patten
- Work on Pilgrim Road to begin in Menomonee Falls, will be temporary
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- My Fair Lady takes to the stage in Falls Patio Players production
- Menomonee Falls' A Better Me wellness spa takes unique approach to relaxation
- The Falls Guy, April 21, 2016: Their field of dreams is ready to open
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Menomonee Falls High School FBLA team clinches state for the third year in a row
- Custom Data Too Mail to open in Falls Commerce Center in Menomonee Falls