Menomonee Avenue is getting a much-needed face-lift. Work is expected to begin in late May on the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
At an estimated cost of $199,879, the work will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road that former village trustee Sharon Ellis called "horrendous."
It's an effort Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
"We've been putting off doing anything on Menomonee Avenue because we wanted to redo some of the subsurface work," explained Village Board President Randy Newman. "This is not rebuilding the whole road, which was the intention, but it will remove all the patches and dips and all the other problems so we can have a good road surface at least through 2018."
That is when Fitzgerald is hopeful the state will approve what will be the third request for help funding the project, which is estimated to cost more than $3 million when the time comes. If funding is approved, the project cost will be split 80/20 between the state and the village.
"It's so substantial that we feel we need to continue to work to qualify for the funding," Fitzgerald said. "(In the meantime) it simply can't hold up anymore. We all drive Menomonee. We all know that's a fact."
It is the first attempt by the village to undertake a paving project like this, Fitzgerald explained, and it will not be the last if it proves successful. Work is expected to happen within a few weeks, and offer a significantly better road surface than what is currently there.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- U.S. Department of Labor fines local company more than $130,000 for violations, endangering employee
- Menomonee Falls Radisson Hotel is officially under new ownership
- Menomonee Falls Police report: October 23, 2014
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 22 Voter's Guide
- Award-winning filmmaker to air film locally on Oct. 29
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Menomonee Falls Associated Bank
- Commercial development will be allowed at Falls gateway intersection
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Falls Associated Bank
- Man accused of trying to steal a car from his former employer
- New Berlin tax rate to stay flat due to increase in city's tax base