Menomonee Falls - A Menomonee Falls residence incurred $25,000 in damage after a fire sparked in the home's attic early Friday evening.
The Menomonee Falls Fire Department responded to a structure fire at W124 N7393 Oakwood Drive at 5:59 p.m. Friday, six minutes after the call went out to dispatch. According to Fire Chief Jeff Hevey, the fire's ignition source was a recessed light in the attic. The damage to the structure was estimated at $20,000 and contents worth $5,000 were damaged.
"There was a significant savings there," Hevey said. "For the amount of damage that was accumulated, the guys did a pretty good job of getting in there and knocking it down really quickly."
Although Hevey was not on scene, he said history has shown that recessed lights tend to be heavily covered by insulation. Due to the heat from the bulbs, the surrounding insulation dries out over a long period of time which can spark a fire.
"If you have insulation on (recessed bulbs), they can't breathe, so clear the insulation around them and make sure you have the proper bulb size," he said. "Those are two easy preventive things people can do."
Hevey said recessed lights should be no more than 60 watt bulbs.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Olive Garden backs out of Germantown development
- Falls, Germantown host Memorial Day events
- Flipping to the future: Teaching technique gains ground
- News & Notes: May 21
- Menomonee Falls approves pet boarding, retail business
- Police Report: May 20
- Amnesty Club hosts benefit for the Water Project
- Menomonee Falls downtown hosts art walk, duck derby
- Menomonee Falls girl honoree of Arthritis Walk
- Menomonee Falls School District prepares for assessment changes at state level