Village of Lannon - Discussions over merging the village of Lannon Fire Department with the Menomonee Falls Fire Department are nearing legal and contractual components, Lannon Village President Jerry Newman said last week.
The two municipalities began discussing merging the two departments last year, but Newman said a merged department likely wouldn't be official until 2014. Last week he said that's still the mark officials are working toward, although the Lannon department would like the merger to be effective by July. "There's a lot of work to do and government works slowly," Newman said.
Newman said he has asked Lannon Fire Chief Patrick Curtis to develop a memorandum of understanding because everything so far has been just discussions. "I haven't seen anything in writing, and I told him to prepare for contract discussions we need a MOU between the chiefs," Newman said.
Newman said he could not share any preliminary operational figures.
"There's been numbers thrown around showing that we do achieve a savings, but I don't know if any of those have been calculated," he said.
Curtis said the Lannon Fire Department 2013 operating budget is $184,255.
Newman said in the coming weeks the Public Safety Committee will continue discussions and work out details to prepare information for the village Finance and Personnel Committee.
"Then we'll get a contract worked out between me, (Menomonee Falls Village Administrator) Mark Fitzgerald and the two attorneys," Newman said. The contract would be presented at the committee meeting, he said.
Last year, Newman said there wouldn't be a merger until Falls constructed one of two planned fire stations. However, last week he said officials are going ahead with the merger, regardless of any new station. He also suggested the possibility of the town of Lisbon being involved in the merger, but said there has been no discussion of that happening so far.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Jan. 29, 2015
- Menomonee Falls district continues discussion on facilities options
- Two-day Menomonee Falls event to feature chili crawl, ice carving
- CMH accepting scholarship applications from Menomonee Falls-area students
- Costco earns approval from Menomonee Falls village officials
- Menomonee Falls could make decision on Costco plans tonight
- Menomonee Falls School Board approves 2015-16 legislative priorities
- Menomonee Falls to make alterations to Open Enrollment, Chapter 220
- Menomonee Falls man arrested for holding neighbor at gun point
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Jan. 15, 2015