Four elementary school students were transported to Community Memorial Hospital Wednesday morning after a school bus collided with a car on Mequon Road and Fond du Lac Avenue.
The driver of the school bus, as well as the driver of the car were both injured and transported to the hospital. Germantown Police Chief Peter Hoell said in a news release all of the injuries appeared to be nonlife-threatening. A fifth student, who sustained minor injuries, was turned over to a parent at the scene.
The accident occurred at 8:30 a.m. as the school bus carrying 21 students was en route to MacArthur Elementary School. The bus stopped for a stop sign, then proceeded into traffic, colliding with a car traveling eastbound on Mequon Road. Hoell said the accident was a result of the school bus failing to yield the right of way from a stop sign.
The students who did not report injuries were transported by another bus to MacArthur Elementary for a second medical assessment by Germantown EMS and to meet with parents.
Ambulances from Mequon, Menomonee Falls and Richfield assisted the Germantown Fire Department at the scene. The Germantown School District, Hoell said, was instrumental in the immediate notification to the parents of the students involved in the accident.
The Riteway Bus Company also assisted the Germantown Police Department with the accident investigation, Hoell said. Impairment of the driver was not a factor in the accident.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Butler man arrested for threatening former employer
- Police Report: Dec. 9
- One dead in rash of Sunday morning crashes in Menomonee Falls
- Stakeholders host public information meeting to discuss future of Germantown golf course land
- Falls police investigating armed bank robbery
- Overnight fire damages Menomonee Falls home
- Village adds acre to sewer service area
- Menomonee Falls Parkway, Megal Drive water main among notable 2013 projects
- Menomonee Falls manufacturer Ultra Tool plans expansion
- Kohl's to return $2M grant from Falls