After more than two hours of discussion, the Germantown Village Board on Tuesday postponed the decision on a permit for a 150-foot cellphone tower on Wasaukee Road.
Instead of denying AT&T a conditional use permit for the tower and a wireless communication facility on a 25-acre parcel of land, the board directed AT&T to research whether it is feasible to both camouflage the tower and shorten it.
About a dozen residents addressed the board, voicing opposition to the cellphone tower saying it will be a visual eye sore and cause their property values to decrease. A handful of residents said reception is spotty in that area and the village needs to move into the future of cellphone and data usage, asking them to approve the permit.
Village Trustee Terri Kaminski made the motion to postpone the decision, saying if they vote on the 150-foot pole as presented it most likely would be denied. She wanted AT&T to have the ability to come back with options that would appease residents.
"This is the future - whether it's streaming movies or your kids in high school, virtual schools, a crisis where you have to reach your child - all these outlets are via cellphone," Kaminski said. "I would support this because this is life of the future and I don't think any of us in Germantown really want to be left behind."
Village Trustee Art Zabel requested that AT&T look at putting up a tower camouflaged as a silo to blend into the neighborhood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wheeling for Healing bike ride scheduled for Aug. 8 supports the Cancer Care Center
- Tornado Brewing opens location in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Comedian has eyes on a brighter future
- Menomonee Falls has a sweet way to remove hair
- Menomonee Falls water report now available online
- The Community league hosts their first ever garden tour in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls approves outdoor dining parameters
- Village of Menomonee Falls to meet Tuesday night to select new trustee
- Change from Tazinos to Pizza Crafters finalized in Menomonee Falls (1)