Rockfield Elementary School in Germantown was named a 2012 Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
There were eight elementary schools in Wisconsin that received the award. There are approximately 15,000 public school districts nationwide and 269 individual schools received Blue Ribbon awards this year.
"We are thrilled to have won the Blue Ribbon Schools award. Blue Ribbon Schools exemplify the principal and teacher leadership we continue to cultivate in our schools focused on students," said Germantown Superintendent Susan Borden,
There are now three Blue Ribbon principals out of the four elementary schools in the Germantown School District. County Line Elementary won the award in 2009. Amy Belle Elementary Principal Maria Kucharski recently started with the Germantown School District after working at Magee Elementary in Kettle Moraine, a school that also received a 2012 award.
"Congratulations. Only a few schools in the nation receive Blue Ribbon honors each year," said State Superintendent Tony Evers. "This award recognizes that staff members at these schools work with their communities to help all students achieve at high levels so they are prepared to graduate from high school ready for college and career."
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program began in 1982 to recognize schools striving to achieve excellence. Nearly 7,000 of America's schools have received the Blue Ribbon honor during the program's 30-year history. Characteristics of Blue Ribbon Schools include leaders who articulate a vision of excellence and stay involved in day-to-day teaching and learning; high standards for teachers, students, and administrators; diligent use of data to adapt teaching and learning to support every student; and a school culture of mutual respect and trust.
Evers nominated the award winning schools earlier this year. Each school completed an extensive application and provided evidence of student academic achievement.
Schools earning the award receive a plaque and flag signifying their status as a Blue Ribbon School. A principal and teacher also will be invited to attend a Nov. 12-13 recognition ceremony in Washington, D.C.
- Menomonee Falls Girl Scout aids in Central America's conservation efforts
- Two suspects apprehended in Menomonee Falls armed robbery (5)
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Major phase in Menomonee Falls' White Stone Station completed
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- The Falls Guy, July 28, 2016: A trip down memory lane
- Falls woman dreams of starting her own dessert bus
- Menomonee Falls man pleads guilty to homicide after killing bicyclist
- Wanakia Wildlife gives a bird's-eye view to Menomonee Falls Nature Camp kids
- Taste of Germantown event to raise funds for pavilion