Hamilton worker named paraprofessional of the year
Dawn Braun's students nominated her for award
Hamilton High School employee Dawn Braun was recently named the Wisconsin Council of Administrators of Special Services (WCASS) Special Education Paraprofessional of the Year. The award is given to an individual who provides outstanding services to students with disabilities.
Braun has been a special education paraprofessional at Hamilton for the past 13 years. Her colleagues and students she serves nominated her for the award. They noted that she makes numerous contributions and a positive impact on the lives of Hamilton students and staff. She has gone above and beyond expectations, often extending her hours to assist students.
"Dawn has given up many lunch hours to eat with students who for a variety of reasons didn't want to go into the lunchroom," wrote one of her nominators.
Others noted that she is visible throughout the school supporting students. She was described as consistently kind, respectful and patient with an approach that allows her to be a role model for others.
One of her students credited Braun for helping her find success in school.
"Not only did she teach me math and other studies, but she taught me a few things about life, too," the student wrote. "I can thank her for not only graduating but for also helping me be ready for life after school. I truly believe I would not have received my diploma if not for her
encouragement, kindness and loving way."
The Wisconsin Council of Administrators of Special Services is a statewide organization devoted to improving services to children with special needs by promoting professional leadership, providing opportunities for study of issues pertaining to special services, and facilitating
communication and collaboration on behalf of special needs students.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: July 9, 2015
- World War II, Korea vet Mathiak dies
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Civil War encampment and ice cream social at Old Falls Village
- Wheeling for Healing bike ride scheduled for Aug. 8 supports the Cancer Care Center
- Tornado Brewing opens location in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Comedian has eyes on a brighter future
- Menomonee Falls has a sweet way to remove hair
- Menomonee Falls water report now available online