Menomonee Falls — Drivers of Menomonee Avenue have a little bit longer to wait before the road gets a much-needed face-lift. Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said the short-term fix has been delayed until mid-August due to the high demand of contractors this time of year.
At an estimated cost of about $200,000, the village board in April approved a repaving project that will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
"We residents were so hoping the late-May repairs would be completed by now, (but) repairs have not even started yet," wrote Catherine Giguere in a July 17 email to Menomonee Falls NOW.
The high demand for repaving work and lack of enough contractors to complete the project is what Fitzgerald said pushed the project back.
"It will get completed," he said. "Right now, we are dealing with a situation where there is a limited pool of contractors to do this kind of work all over the Midwest, prompted in part by all the weather events that occurred last year."
The project itself is a short-term fix Fitzgerald has called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to fund the estimated $3 million to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
When work does begin, the road will remain open with temporary lane closures to allow for repaving and is expected to take about a week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls Police report: October 30, 2014
- Why Menomonee Falls and Germantown might be starting to bounce back post-recession
- Taxes to go down for Falls school district residents
- Car salesman allegedly stole dealership vehicle, crashed it while drunk
- Republican Party of Waukesha County calling for election observers
- Wisconsin farmers host Southeast Asia grain and feed buyers
- Menomonee Falls author donates book proceeds to Wounded Warriors
- U.S. Department of Labor fines local company more than $130,000 for violations, endangering employee
- Menomonee Falls Radisson Hotel is officially under new ownership
- Menomonee Falls Police report: October 23, 2014