Menomonee Falls — Drivers of Menomonee Avenue have a little bit longer to wait before the road gets a much-needed face-lift. Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said the short-term fix has been delayed until mid-August due to the high demand of contractors this time of year.
At an estimated cost of about $200,000, the village board in April approved a repaving project that will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
"We residents were so hoping the late-May repairs would be completed by now, (but) repairs have not even started yet," wrote Catherine Giguere in a July 17 email to Menomonee Falls NOW.
The high demand for repaving work and lack of enough contractors to complete the project is what Fitzgerald said pushed the project back.
"It will get completed," he said. "Right now, we are dealing with a situation where there is a limited pool of contractors to do this kind of work all over the Midwest, prompted in part by all the weather events that occurred last year."
The project itself is a short-term fix Fitzgerald has called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to fund the estimated $3 million to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
When work does begin, the road will remain open with temporary lane closures to allow for repaving and is expected to take about a week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- World War II, Korea vet Mathiak dies
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Civil War encampment and ice cream social at Old Falls Village
- Wheeling for Healing bike ride scheduled for Aug. 8 supports the Cancer Care Center
- Tornado Brewing opens location in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Comedian has eyes on a brighter future
- Menomonee Falls has a sweet way to remove hair
- Menomonee Falls water report now available online
- The Community league hosts their first ever garden tour in Menomonee Falls