Menomonee Falls — Drivers of Menomonee Avenue have a little bit longer to wait before the road gets a much-needed face-lift. Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said the short-term fix has been delayed until mid-August due to the high demand of contractors this time of year.
At an estimated cost of about $200,000, the village board in April approved a repaving project that will remove the rough spots and resurface the stretch of road between Appleton Avenue and Town Hall Road.
"We residents were so hoping the late-May repairs would be completed by now, (but) repairs have not even started yet," wrote Catherine Giguere in a July 17 email to Menomonee Falls NOW.
The high demand for repaving work and lack of enough contractors to complete the project is what Fitzgerald said pushed the project back.
"It will get completed," he said. "Right now, we are dealing with a situation where there is a limited pool of contractors to do this kind of work all over the Midwest, prompted in part by all the weather events that occurred last year."
The project itself is a short-term fix Fitzgerald has called a "five-year Band-Aid," as village officials plan to continue seeking state assistance to fund the estimated $3 million to completely overhaul the road by 2018.
When work does begin, the road will remain open with temporary lane closures to allow for repaving and is expected to take about a week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Students help break ground for Rockfield addition
- Getting to know Dennis Farrell
- Scion Dental awarded the management of 650,000 through Maryland Healthy Smiles program
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Nov. 26, 2015
- Shady Lane Elementary offers students buddy bench on playground
- Kohl's, Bartolotta team up to service Menomonee Falls corporate campus
- Alto-Shaam granted Patriot Award for support of employee in the National Guard
- Social Haus proposal for Menomonee Falls moves forward with extended indoor, limited outdoor hours (2)
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports: Nov. 19, 2015
- Falls Guy, Nov. 19, 2015: It's time to turn the page