Menomonee Falls — Advanced Waste is out, and a new tax-incremental financing district could be in.
The village's recent settlement with the Milwaukee-based industrial waste treatment business was part of a much larger long-term plan for the area as village officials consider a new industrial TIF district along the east and west sides of Lilly Road, north of Silver Spring Drive in the Manhardt Drive area.
About three weeks after the village board approved a $2.8 million settlement agreement with AWS authorizing the purchase of 21.6 acres of land, an initial meeting of the Joint Review Board was held Aug. 20 to review proposed plan for TIF No. 12.
Including what would have been the new home of a ChemWorks industrial waste processing business, the proposed TIF encompasses 107.5 acres of land that Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald said could become the home to up to seven new light industrial businesses.
The majority of the land within the proposed district is currently zoned for heavy industrial development, so Fitzgerald said something of a smaller scale will be a better fit in the area. The plan includes vacant land in addition to the AWS site, which will be completely redeveloped as part of the estimated $3 million in improvements to the area.
"This is a chance to get some new industrial business while rehabbing an old industrial site that has been around since the 50s or 60s," Fitzgerald said. "This lighter industrial we think will fit as the residential area to the north builds out and we think it's a much better fit for the neighborhood."
TIF is a mechanism that allows municipalities to borrow money to fund infrastructure improvements for an area that otherwise would be difficult to develop or redevelop. The increased property tax revenue from the improved land is then diverted from the tax roll to pay off the loan.
In this case, Fitzgerald said the plan calls for the development of $30 million of increment, and based on estimates the district could payoff early in 14 or 15 years.
The Plan Commission will have a special meeting Thursday, Aug. 28, to hold a public hearing and discuss the proposed plans before making a recommendation one way or another to the village board.
WHAT: public hearing and discussion on tax-incremental financing district No. 12
WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28
WHERE: Village Hall, W156 N8480 Pilgrim Road
- Cozzini Bros. to move into Falls Commerce Center
- Getting to know Menomonee Falls Little League President Donald Patten
- Work on Pilgrim Road to begin in Menomonee Falls, will be temporary
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- My Fair Lady takes to the stage in Falls Patio Players production
- Menomonee Falls' A Better Me wellness spa takes unique approach to relaxation
- The Falls Guy, April 21, 2016: Their field of dreams is ready to open
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Menomonee Falls High School FBLA team clinches state for the third year in a row
- Custom Data Too Mail to open in Falls Commerce Center in Menomonee Falls