Menomonee Falls — Ten years ago, it may not have been an issue. But now that the Main Street redevelopment is finally making headway, village officials said they are setting the proverbial bar very high for new businesses seeking to locate on the thoroughfare.
On Aug. 5, the plan commission reviewed plans for a proposed Kwik Trip on the north side of Main Street east of Pilgrim Road. While they unanimously recommended approval of a revision to the comprehensive land use plan from mixed to commercial use, they said the architectural bar will be set very high for any business looking to locate at that corner, Kwik Trip or otherwise.
"This is supposed to be one of our gateways (to the village)," said Village President Randy Newman, who chairs the commission. "Kwik Trip has nice places, but it's going to have to move up from that spot in my mind. If we would put it there, there is a very high bar architecturally."
It's not the first time the village is considering an update to the comprehensive plan. The village adopted the redevelopment plan in 2005, and since 2011, 15 acres along Main Street went from mixed-use and high- and middle-density residential to commercial.
Kwik Trip currently has an option to purchase a combined 1.9-acre parcel and hopes to construct a gas station, 5,700-square-foot convenience store and 2,000-square-foot secondary business on the site. The convenience store would be open 24 hours a day and employ up to 20 employees.
While there has been no tenant proposed for the second building, Director of Community Development Matt Carran said there would likely be an interior tenant involved when plans are finalized.
"Whatever we do, I think Kwik Trip is going to have to understand architecturally this is going to have to look great," Newman said, suggesting the plans mirror that of the recently constructed Ninja restaurant property across the street. "It's got to fit there. I think we've got to keep that we've got some momentum going ... I don't want to have one side (of the street) look one way and the other side look another."
The commission will review the plans again at its meeting Tuesday, Sept. 9, at which point a public hearing will also be held.
WHAT: Public hearing on Kwik Trip proposal at plan commission meeting
WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9
WHERE: Village Hall, W156 N8480 Pilgrim Road
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What residents in Southeast Wisconsin need to know to prevent the spread of Zika virus
- New Director of Business Services for the School District of Menomonee Falls settling into new role
- School District of Menomonee Falls faces $1.1 million budget deficit in 2016-17
- Man guilty of sexually assaulting Menomonee Falls teenager forced into relationship with him
- Things To Do: Feb. 11, 2016
- Patio Players bring out the laughs in female 'Odd Couple'
- UPDATE: Nine crashes, 25 damaged vehicles reported in Feb. 9 crash on Highway 41 in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- School District of Menomonee Falls could lose administrative staff member Gary Kiltz to Greendale
- The Falls Guy, Feb. 11, 2016: Not quite Super