Menomonee Falls — It's not news to residents who have been saying it all along, but people are taking notice of Menomonee Falls. Within months of being named the 28th best place to live in the country by CNN's Money Magazine, the village has another honor to call its own.
The village of Menomonee Falls ranked 15th on a list of the nation's best small towns in a study conducted by consumer advocacy web site NerdWallet.com. The financial literacy site announced June 2 that Menomonee Falls was the top Wisconsin city on the list, which analyzed data from 924 cities with populations between 25,000 and 100,000. Wauwatosa and Oak Creek also made the top 100 cities on the list, ranking 21st and 80th, respectively.
"One of the biggest financial decisions you make is where you live," said Divya Raghavan, senior analyst at NerdWallet. "A lot of times, these kinds of lists feature big cities like San Francisco and New York City, but the atmosphere in those cities is not for everyone. There are a lot of consumers looking for smaller towns, so hopefully this list is more relatable."
Its the first study of its kind on the site, which calls itself the "nerdy friend you can count on and trust, no matter your money question."
The study looked for communities that are economically thriving and affordable, Raghavan said, taking into consideration factors such as population and income growth, affordability of housing, poverty rates and percentage of population with health insurance coverage.
"I think Menomonee Falls is a wonderful community, so it's very gratifying to see that others around the state and around the country are seeing it in a similar way," said Village Manager Mark Fitzgerald. "Menomonee Falls is a great place to raise a family and a safe community to live in, which are very important things to consider."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- U.S. Department of Labor fines local company more than $130,000 for violations, endangering employee
- Menomonee Falls Radisson Hotel is officially under new ownership
- Menomonee Falls Police report: October 23, 2014
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 22 Voter's Guide
- Award-winning filmmaker to air film locally on Oct. 29
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Menomonee Falls Associated Bank
- Commercial development will be allowed at Falls gateway intersection
- Milwaukee man charged in armed robbery at Falls Associated Bank
- Man accused of trying to steal a car from his former employer
- New Berlin tax rate to stay flat due to increase in city's tax base