Menomonee Falls School District approves small staff reductions
Up to 30 people will get notices, many in response to a request for shorter hours
Menomonee Falls — The School Board on Monday night unanimously authorized issuance of up to 30 staff non-renewal notices, as part of a preliminary plan that would cut existing staffing by 7.15 full-time equivalents.
The cuts include two FTE teaching positions at the elementary level, assorted positions equating to 1.54 FTEs at the high school, and reductions in special education staffing. The net recommended reduction would be 4.03 FTEs, due to new staffing proposals, including a "math interventionist" in elementary schools and a computer repair technician.
"I don't want to scare the staff," Christiane Standlee, district director of human resources, told the board, adding that non-renewals include partial non-renewals and any reductions due to employee performance concerns. "Many were at the request of staff themselves," she said, if, for example, they wanted to work reduced hours, including job-sharing situations.
Don't use the term "layoff," Standlee told the board.
"We don't have layoffs anymore," she said. "That is a term that goes with collective bargaining," and the unions that had represented district employees have all decertified under the provisions of the state's 2011 Act 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls opts not to offer new Chapter 220 seats, fewer open enrollment seats in 2015-16
- Menomonee Falls district doesn't change stance on the use of Common Core in reaction to Walker's off
- Man pleads not guilty to sexually assaulting a Menomonee Falls teenager
- Menomonee Falls Ponzi schemer strikes plea deal
- Ask Now: Too much goose use of Fox Brook Park?
- Kindergarten enrollment night set for Feb. 4
- Two suspects charged with passing fake $100 bills at Menomonee Falls Target
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Jan. 29, 2015
- Menomonee Falls district continues discussion on facilities options
- Two-day Menomonee Falls event to feature chili crawl, ice carving