Menomonee Falls — Students in the Menomonee Falls school district will soon have a new way to give back to the community thanks to a new partnership between Menomonee Falls High School and the Menomonee Falls Rotary.
A unique partnership has formed between the school and the organization that foreign language teacher Laurie Wanta said she hopes will inspire teens and the community to engage in local and worldwide humanitarian efforts together.
"It's important to instill a lifelong commitment to service in our youth, and this is a fantastic opportunity to inspire our students," said Wanta, who teaches German and Chinese at the high school and developed the partnership plan.
The partnership carries several purposes, including providing ways for world language students to engage in Rotary humanitarian projects, allowing Rotarians to support high school initiatives that align with Rotary's vision, and to collaborate on one global initiative each year.
"This is a terrific way to reinvigorate our club with youthful energy while inspiring Rotarians of the future," said Rotary Past President Ric Hartman. "We are so pleased to see our teachers and students take an active role in supporting Rotary's local and international initiatives."
The charter partnership, which will go into effect in the 2014-15 school year, features commitments of both the district and the Rotary.
Specifically, the World Language Department pledges to provide student volunteers at Rotarian events, advertise Rotary initiatives at the high school and provide student speakers at meetings.
In exchange, the Rotary agrees to provide adult volunteers at World Language events, provide a speaker at the start of each school year, and provide scholarships to students.
"Menomonee Falls Rotary has played a vital role in community support and engagement for years, and we are honored to be part of and contribute to that," Wanta said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Menomonee Falls Dance Team to compete in kick, jazz at state competition Feb. 6
- Menomonee Falls Comprehensive Plan complete, set for possible approval this spring
- Park plans include upgrades to Village Park, new park on southwest side in Menomonee Falls
- School District of Menomonee Falls to continue examining results of one-time Badger exam
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Menomonee Falls board to review plans for improvements to Village Park, new park on southwest side
- Students host "Red Out" game at Menomonee Falls High School (1)
- Ally's Bistro begins construction on expansion; slated to finish in June (1)
- School District of Menomonee Falls approves Sept. 1 start date