Mentally disabled man accused of child sex assault in church
Man's ability to stand trial to be determined
An 18-year-old mentally disabled man was charged Tuesday in Waukesha County Circuit Court with sexual assaulting a child at Falls Baptist Church in Menomonee Falls on Sunday, June 23.
According to the criminal complaint, Village of Menomonee Falls Police were dispatched to the church and told that the man, who will not be identified to protect the victim, was being held after he was found in a darkened nursery room with the 6-year-old girl.
He told police that voices in his head told him to "rape her," the complaint reads. The girl told police that the man allegedly took off her underwear and performed a sexual act on her. The two were found by the girl's mother, who had sent the girl to the nursery to return a pillow.
The man's grandmother and legal guardian told authorities that he suffers from bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder and learning disabilities, among other things, according to a flight risk report. The court ordered on Tuesday, June 25 that the man's competency to stand trial must be determined.
The man originally fled after being found, but was persuaded to return to the church to await police.
If officials determine he is competent to stand trial, the man could face up to 60 years in prison.
A review hearing has been scheduled for July 19.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Avenue project delayed until August
- Menomonee Falls wedding destination celebrates renovation
- Country Meadows Elementary School Principal Gary Goelz promoted to assistant superintendent of the M
- Menomonee Falls children's book author promotes early emotional learning
- Menomonee Falls hospital celebrates 50 years
- Wauwatosa man dies in fatal Falls crash
- Menomonee Falls police urge residents to lock vehicles
- Three injured in Menomonee Falls accident expected to make full recoveries
- Menomonee Falls Police Report: July 10, 2014
- Kohl's buys within Menomonee Falls, expands locally