Drunken driver leads police
on high-speed chase
Menomonee Falls - A 59-year-old Menomonee Falls man was arrested after he almost struck an officer performing a traffic stop, then led police on a high-speed pursuit on Feb. 17.
According to the Menomonee Falls police:
The man was driving southeast on Appleton Avenue at Roosevelt Drive when he nearly struck an officer standing outside another vehicle conducting a traffic stop at about 2 p.m. Feb. 17.
The suspect then fled the area at a high rate of speed and intentionally tried to elude officers by increasing his speed and making several turns. Squads followed the suspect to his residence in the N92 W16900 block of Roger Drive, where he got out of his vehicle and attempted to run into his home to hide from officers.
The man resisted arrest and officers took him into custody inside the rear door of his residence.
After police found several open cans of beer and hard lemonade in his vehicle the suspect was transported to Community Memorial Hospital for medical clearance and a legal blood draw. While at the hospital the man failed sobriety testing and was taken to the Menomonee Falls Police Department where he was arrested.
While at the residence police received information from one of the suspect's relatives that he had drug paraphernalia in his home. The relative also told police she discovered what she believed was a homemade explosive in his basement. The relative told police she believed it was an explosive because the suspect had made comments in the past that he wished to construct mailbox bombs.
Police searched the basement and found a plastic bottle attached to the back of a door with electrical wiring running from the bottle to a keypad. The door had a sign displayed with a warning to run if the device was triggered.
The city of Milwaukee Police Department's Bomb Squad was called to the scene and examined the device, but it was determined it was not an explosive and posed no hazard to the occupants or the home.
He was arrested for three counts of bail jumping, eluding an officer and possession of narcotics - all felony charges - and resisting an officer and possession of drug paraphernalia. The suspect was transported to the Waukesha County Jail where he is currently being held and is scheduled to appear in the district attorney's office Thursday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Pilgrim Road off-ramps in Menomonee Falls to close in both directions April 20
- Former Falls Village President Jefferson Davis loses son, has grandson within 36 hours
- Bus shelters coming to Bluemound Road in Brookfield
- Mother, daughter threatened at gunpoint in attempted carjacking outside JoAnn Fabrics in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls Police report: April 16, 2015
- Kohl's receives another nod from the Environmental Protection Agency
- Tazino's closes three locations, Menomonee Falls remains open
- One killed, firefighter injured in Germantown townhouse fire April 11 (1)
- Falls board to discuss final layoff notices, budget
- Falls business told it will take 'longer than anticipated' to fix collapsed building (1)