Waukesha County GOP leaders were able to breathe a big sigh of relief when county sheriff's inspector Eric Severson eaily defeated challenger Tom Alioto, a former Lisbon police sergeant, in the Republican primary election Tuesday, Aug. 12.
These results will likely determine who will be sheriff for the next four years since there is no Democrat running in the heavily Republican county.
Severson earned 32,940 votes compared to Alioto's 5,485.
After the votes were counted, Severson said he was "happy" and "humbled" by the outcome.
"We stuck to our message that qualifications count and the voters sent us a strong message that they want someone who is qualified to serve them and that is what I will be honored to do," Severson added.
Severson has spent 27 years in the county sheriff's department and worked his way up the ranks to become second in command in the department. He was promptly supported by Sheriff Dan Trawicki after Trawicki announced he would not seek reelection after three terms.
Severson has degrees in both criminal justice and communication from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and has attended FBI and DEA academy training.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction to begin on expanded emergency department at CMH in Menomonee Falls
- Menomonee Falls School Board takes steps to include two referendum questions on April 2016 ballot
- Menomonee Falls Police report: Feb. 26, 2015
- Menomonee Falls woman, local couples vacation with a cause
- Germantown dog doesn't win at Westminster but holds head high
- Damage to vacant Menomonee Falls school property estimated well over $10,000
- Vacant Menomonee Falls school property vandalized
- Falls School Board to discuss public involvement in development of facilities plans
- Muskego-Norway School District to move middle school start time back
- High School students from Menomonee Falls earn honorable mention in JA Business Challenge