Indians girls' runners record impressive second in Oconomowoc
Paule takes fifth individually
Menomonee Falls - Behind returning state qualifier Megan Paule's fifth-place individual finish, the Menomonee Falls girls cross country team proved to be as hot as the weather, as it took a strong second in the Oconomowoc Nature Hill Challenge on Aug. 30.
"We had a great week of practice, one of the best I've been around in the program," said Indians coach Paul Schramka, "and I truly believe that the hard work is paying off. Now the task ahead of us is to keep our momentum going. It was brutal outside (well north of 80 degrees with blustery winds) and we met the challenge head on."
With one of their best team finishes in years now behind them, the Indians will prepare to co-host along with the boys the Matt Hadler Memorial Invitational at Rotary Park, starting at 9 a.m. Sept. 8.
In the field of 12 full teams at Oconomowoc, the Indians scored just 78 points, as Westosha Central won with 59 and the host Raccoons were third with 102, Janesville Parker fourth with 109 and New Berlin West fifth with 128.
The sophomore Paule recorded a time of 16:42 on the rugged 4,000-meter course for her spot as Oconomowoc freshman Marlee Houston won in 16:03.
Paule got strong scoring help from sophomore Jamie Lessila in 12th (17:16), sophomore Hannah Nelson in 18th (17:40), freshman Tessa Estock in 19th (17:41) and senior Jamie Ertl in 24th (17:54).
"Ertl was impressive," said Schramka. "She was not going to get beaten down that last 200 meters. I can't say enough about her tenacity."
Also running for Falls were sophomore Juliette Schefelker in 41st (18:42) and senior Cassie Visintainer in 48th (18:51).
"I was really also impressed with Maddie Thomas in only second race (on the junior varsity level)," said Schramka. "As a freshman (20:14) she gained a lot of confidence and we see great things ahead."
- Menomonee Falls boys track wins sectional, sends 8 entries to state
- Menomonee Falls boys basketball coach Ben Farley to step down
- Mentally tough Menomonee Falls softball team wins sixth GMC title
- McMurtry's two wins lead Menomonee Falls boys track team to second in GMC outdoor
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown Sports Shorts: May 26
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Menomonee Falls boys tennis team stays on a roll, wins Slinger Invite
- Menomonee Falls Lakers celebrate return with big win
- Menomonee Falls softball team takes lead in GMC
- Sports Shorts: May 12, 2016