Picking where it left off after claiming its second straight WIAA State D1 title in March, the Germantown boys basketball team will compete for the Whiz Kids Summer League Championship at MSOE in Milwaukee on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. against Milwaukee Riverside.
The summer team, which is coached by Dave Huebner, will carry a 30-0 record into the final. It is made up largely of members of the returning WIAA state champions, which will carry a 56-game winning streak into the 2013-14 season.
Germantown will return four of five starters this coming winter and six of its top eight players. State Player of the Year center Luke Fischer will be at Indiana but returning NOW All-Suburban guard Lamonte Bearden will be back to run the show along with three-point shooting ace Jake Showalter.
In addition, Germantown picked up Menomonee Falls transfer Juwan McCloud, who had a fine freshman season as a guard for the Indians this past winter. McCloud is the younger brother of former Germantown guard Jalen McCloud.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Oak Creek rallies for victory over Falls
- Menomonee Falls' Weber pitches his way onto NOW All-Sub team
- Baseball: Barnes keeps bases clean for Sussex Hamilton
- Will 'the boys of summer baseball' keep playing in the years to come?
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 31
- Behind Weber, young Falls team found its way to 22-11
- Homestead bats too much for Menomonee Falls baseball team in 10-8 sectional loss
- Menomonee Falls baseball team beats Port and Grafton to claim regional title
- Menomonee Falls baseball team advances with 2-0 shutout of Port
- Falls baseball team closes season on high note, takes third in GMC