Picking where it left off after claiming its second straight WIAA State D1 title in March, the Germantown boys basketball team will compete for the Whiz Kids Summer League Championship at MSOE in Milwaukee on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. against Milwaukee Riverside.
The summer team, which is coached by Dave Huebner, will carry a 30-0 record into the final. It is made up largely of members of the returning WIAA state champions, which will carry a 56-game winning streak into the 2013-14 season.
Germantown will return four of five starters this coming winter and six of its top eight players. State Player of the Year center Luke Fischer will be at Indiana but returning NOW All-Suburban guard Lamonte Bearden will be back to run the show along with three-point shooting ace Jake Showalter.
In addition, Germantown picked up Menomonee Falls transfer Juwan McCloud, who had a fine freshman season as a guard for the Indians this past winter. McCloud is the younger brother of former Germantown guard Jalen McCloud.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls boys rally for first win over Hamilton in three years, 35-29
- Senior night a success on all levels for Menomonee Falls wrestlers
- Senior night a grand success for Menomonee Falls wrestling
- Baker steps down as Menomonee Falls football coach
- Busy Menomonee Falls wrestling team tries to sort out lineup
- Falls girls, boys beat West Bend West in nonconference tilts
- Thousands remember, pay homage to Germantown great Datka
- Memorial luncheon added to Datka funeral schedule
- Datka visitation Sunday at the high school, funeral Monday
- Legendary Germantown football coach Phil Datka passes away