Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- DSHA softball team outslugs Falls in GMC showdown
- Menomonee Falls golf team remains competitive fighting the weather
- DSHA softball team slugs its way past Menomonee Falls, 8-5
- Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016
- Menomonee Falls boys track team getting faster and faster
- Young Menomonee Falls softball team ready for challenges ahead
- Youthful Menomonee Falls golf team sets new school record
- WIAA realignment plan a headache, but athletic directors will live with it
- Young Menomonee Falls softball team gets crash-course in experience