Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls swimmers second in Northstar Invitational
- SPORTS SHORTS: Sept. 3
- Turnovers do in Menomonee Falls football team in loss to Superior
- Menomonee Falls volleyball team opens season with win over Nicolet
- Menomonee Falls football team stunned by inspired Oak Creek, 26-0
- Sport Shorts: Aug. 27, 2015
- Young Menomonee Falls soccer team to build on success of 2014
- Football: Youthful Oak Creek football team impresses in 26-0 win over Falls
- Menomonee Falls football team quick, active and experienced
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Menomonee Falls Indians