Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls dodgeball tourney slated for Saturday at the high school
- Eisenhower girls basketball team celebrates excellent record
- West Allis Central slates state pep rally for March 19 at field house
- Lutz to take over as Menomonee Falls football coach
- Menomonee Falls' boys season ends with tough loss to Arrowhead
- Boys basketball: Arrowhead boys eliminate Menomonee Falls
- Waukesha North ousts Whitnall girls basketball team from WIAA regional play
- Lutz named new Menomonee Falls football coach
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls basketball team in regional final after 56-46 win
- Menomonee Falls wrestlers advance five to state off home mats