Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Smith always the heart of Menomonee Falls athletic program
- Menomonee Falls softball team clinches share of fifth GMC title
- Menomonee Falls soccer team keeps things in perspective, wins three
- UW-Green Bay's Hailey Mohrfeld plays through pain, shatters records
- Home cooking: Menomonee Falls trackmen claim GMC Relays
- Germantown girls soccer team edges rival Menomonee Falls, 1-0
- Menomonee Falls' Jones blanks Germantown, 2-0, in softball thriller
- Young Menomonee Falls girls soccer team looking for good things
- Menomonee Falls softball team off to red-hot start
- Girls basketball: Klug seeks to bring Chargers to new heights