Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tough-minded Menomonee Falls boys basketball team wins first two games
- Menomonee Falls girls basketball team finishes second in own tournament
- Menomonee Falls girls basketball team getting more experience every day
- Menomonee Falls/Hamilton swimmers go fast but not fast enough for state
- Injuries slow Menomonee Falls football team in 3-6 season (3)
- Former Menomonee Falls player Tony Patterson makes Milwaukee Wave soccer roster
- Young Menomonee Falls girls swimming team takes strong third in GMC test
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 5, 2015
- Menomonee Falls' Wunschel passes big test, advances to state cross-country meet
- SPORTS SHORTS: Oct. 29