Despite missing one of its top competitiors, the Menomonee Falls wrestling team won its bracket with a 5-0 record and advanced to Saturday's four-team championship round in the 24-school Northern Exposure Duals at Merrill.
The Indians despite not having state-level lightweight Jerott Holz, defeated the Bluejays (77-3), Marquette (72-6), Edgar (60-18), Eau Claire North (58-12) and Oconto Falls (64-9) in first day action.
That effort will advance them to the championship round Saturday with other bracket winners Merrill, Menomonie and Bay Port.
Going unbeaten on the day for the Indians were Eric Wunsch at 106 pounds (5-0), Aaron Daly at 113 and 120 pounds (5-0), Billy Holz at 126 (5-0 with three pins), Jeff Kleser at 132 (4-0), Casey Crangle at 145 (5-0 with three pins), Jake Fuiten at 182 (5-0), and Trayvon Handy at 285 (5-0 with four pins).
Jake McMahon at 138 (4-1), Tyler Simcock at 160 (4-1) and James Dow at 220 (4-1 with four pins) also had good days for the Indians.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Central wrestlers take control of GMC race with 29-27 win over Falls
- Falls boys even record by getting defensive against Franklin
- Boys basketball: Tosa East stays undefeated, downs Falls
- Menomonee Falls boys get defensive in beating Franklin, 48-30
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 11, 2014
- 2014 NOW All-Suburban Football: Tyler Simcock's energy brought life to Menomonee Falls' defense
- Fall a time of reflection and athletic success for Menomonee Falls and Germantown
- Menomonee Falls wrestling team building on a record of success
- Falls boys basketball team learns much in 1-2 start
- Sheboygan South spoils Menomonee Falls boys opener, 47-38