The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls' Optimists give $25,000 to CIC for HS facilities renovation project
- Menomonee Falls' wrestlers Crangle and Daly medal at state
- Boys basketball: Kettle Moraine adds to school-record win total
- Daly, Crangle, Higginbotham make semis in WIAA state wrestling
- Menomonee Falls wrestlers shatter records with seven state qualifiers
- Seiler takes two WIAA state seconds for Menomonee Falls swim co-op
- Falls wrestlers earn second straight team state tourney berth
- Falls wrestlers earn repeat berth to team state, hammer Tosa, 66-8
- SPORTS SHORTS
- Dramatic finish earns Falls wrestlers WIAA regional title