The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
- Menomonee Falls boys win track sectional, advance eight entries to state
- Menomonee Falls tennis players make history with three state entries
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown Sports Shorts: June 2, 2016
- Menomonee Falls boys track wins sectional, sends 8 entries to state
- Menomonee Falls boys basketball coach Ben Farley to step down
- Mentally tough Menomonee Falls softball team wins sixth GMC title
- McMurtry's two wins lead Menomonee Falls boys track team to second in GMC outdoor
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown Sports Shorts: May 26
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Menomonee Falls boys tennis team stays on a roll, wins Slinger Invite