The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Smith always the heart of Menomonee Falls athletic program
- Menomonee Falls softball team clinches share of fifth GMC title
- Menomonee Falls soccer team keeps things in perspective, wins three
- UW-Green Bay's Hailey Mohrfeld plays through pain, shatters records
- Home cooking: Menomonee Falls trackmen claim GMC Relays
- Germantown girls soccer team edges rival Menomonee Falls, 1-0
- Menomonee Falls' Jones blanks Germantown, 2-0, in softball thriller
- Young Menomonee Falls girls soccer team looking for good things
- Menomonee Falls softball team off to red-hot start
- Girls basketball: Klug seeks to bring Chargers to new heights