The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown girls overpower Menomonee Falls, 73-36
- Germantown boys improve to 6-0 with 80-48 border win over Falls
- Central wrestlers take control of GMC race with 29-27 win over Falls
- Falls boys even record by getting defensive against Franklin
- Boys basketball: Tosa East stays undefeated, downs Falls
- Menomonee Falls boys get defensive in beating Franklin, 48-30
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 11, 2014
- 2014 NOW All-Suburban Football: Tyler Simcock's energy brought life to Menomonee Falls' defense
- Fall a time of reflection and athletic success for Menomonee Falls and Germantown
- Menomonee Falls wrestling team building on a record of success