The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Falls dodgeball tourney slated for Saturday at the high school
- Eisenhower girls basketball team celebrates excellent record
- West Allis Central slates state pep rally for March 19 at field house
- Lutz to take over as Menomonee Falls football coach
- Menomonee Falls' boys season ends with tough loss to Arrowhead
- Boys basketball: Arrowhead boys eliminate Menomonee Falls
- Waukesha North ousts Whitnall girls basketball team from WIAA regional play
- Lutz named new Menomonee Falls football coach
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls basketball team in regional final after 56-46 win
- Menomonee Falls wrestlers advance five to state off home mats