The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fischer and Hamilton overpower Falls in key GMC baseball match-up
- Menomonee Falls' Tokoto gets his NBA opportunity with Philly
- Menomonee Falls' ace Weber returns and stymies Oak Creek, 6-2
- Menomonee Falls baseball team still in GMC hunt despite Marquette loss
- Baseball: North steals game from league leader West
- Soccer would do well to eliminate "stoppage time"
- More injuries still being managed by Menomonee Falls baseball team
- Controversy surrounds Menomonee Falls' state soccer debut
- Menomonee Falls girls lose wild state soccer semifinal, 4-3
- Menomonee Falls girls soccer team's state berth built on years of effort