The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hamilton golf team delivers school-record effort
- Van Alstyne, other seniors lead Menomonee Falls boys to second in GMC outdoor
- Menomonee Falls softball team defends Greater Metro Conference title
- Sports Shorts: May 23
- Olapo earns chance to wrestle in the big time, will attend Michigan
- Falls wrestlers earn all-state honors
- Falls' track invite only five years old, but is already a high-level "must-see"event
- Falls soccer, softball teams may vie for GMC crowns Saturday
- Sports Shorts: May 13
- New middle school tennis program has Falls' players believing they can compete again