The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
- We will miss you "Sky" Skibosh
- Menomonee Falls baseball team fine-tuning things heading into tournaments
- Menomonee Falls youth soccer program joins Milwaukee Kickers
- Weber comes back to help Menomonee Falls baseball team
- Menomonee Falls' Ty Weber graduates, leaves for college, gets drafted
- Without Weber, Menomonee Falls baseball team looking for consistency
- Menomonee Falls' Weber heads off to college with 9-0 win
- Boys basketball: Menomonee Falls makes power play to bring in hoops coach Steve Showalter (5)
- Menomonee Falls softball team comes up just short of state
- Germantown and Menomonee Falls Sports Shorts: June 9, 2016