The awards continue to pour in for three-time Homestead state track champion Gabe Genovesi as this afternoon it was announced that he was named Gatorade's Wisconsin Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Genovesi, who led the Highlanders to their first state team title in 46 years, set a new state record in the 800 (his 1:51.55 was ranked 12th among all preps nationwide at the time of this announcement). Further, he anchored both the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams to school record state championship efforts.
The 6-2, 180-pound Genovesi, who will attend Akron University in the fall on a soccer scholarship, beat out a heady field of competitors this year, including returning award winner Matt Widule of Menomonee Falls, who repeated as state high hurdles champion, helped set a new state record in the 800 relay and finished a narrow second in the 300 hurdles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hardworking Menomonee Falls boys basketball team looks to improve
- Fast start propels Catholic Memorial past Menomonee Falls in girls basketball opener
- As Indian swimmers end on up note, Pilo looks to state
- Menomonee Falls football team built itself into a contender
- The Eastman family has give back much to Falls soccer
- Menomonee Falls soccer team's moment in the sun ends in state finals
- Dantone, Menomonee Falls survive epic state soccer semifinal with Beloit
- Marquette just too much for Menomonee Falls in state soccer final, 4-1
- Boys soccer: Unthinkable comeback gives Falls soccer a chance at state title
- Menomonee Falls boys soccer team makes first state trip