It was going to be a rebuilding year for the Menomonee Falls boys basketball team and it was, as the Indians shuffled the lineup without current North Carolina player J.P. Tokoto and came up with a 7-16 record.
"We'll treat this as learning experience for the future," second-year coach Dan Leffel said. "I thought we had some pretty good leadership this year. Not everything happened perfectly, but the kids knew that they had to play hard and almost perfectly well to win games.
"We didn't have that early, but as the season went along our biggest gain was on the defensive side. We couldn't outscore people but we could stay in games if we played defense."
Senior guard Brandon Ramey (12.9 ppg) earned second-team All-Greater Metro Conference honors for the Indians while freshman guard Juwan McCloud (11 ppg) provided a real spark for the future.
Senior forward Devon Nauer helped out with a 8.7 points per game and a strong presence on the boards.
Leffel was encouraged by the play of the underclassmen teams, as the junior varsity went 16-6 and the freshmen, 16-4. Even more encouraging to him was the fact that the freshmen played so well despite the fact that McCloud was up on varsity and its second-best player, Bryce McMurtry, was contributing to the junior varsity's efforts.
"Those kids gained a lot of good experience," Leffel said, "and we should have a fair amount of kids competing for spots next year."
Seniors included Ramey, Nauer, Zach Murray and Vadial Shields.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Falls boys soccer team just two steps away from state tourney
- Gritty Falls effort versus Marquette comes up short
- Marquette ends Menomonee Falls' dream of GMC football title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Menomonee Falls football team to play Marquette for GMC title
- Falls defense rises to the occasion
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- New Berlin West finishes second in Woodland tennis tourney
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7