Led by returning state meet qualifiers juniors John Seiler and Matt Ciolkosz, the Menomonee Falls/Germantown/Hamilton co-op boys swim team opened up its season with a third-place finish in the Janesville Cougar Relays on Saturday.
"It was an interesting start," said Indians coach Jim Weitzer. "We had a few too many disqualifications (three) but there is a lot of energy in the pool. Some are taking direction well while others are fighting change a bit. If we want to succeed, we need to make changes now at the start of the season."
The Indians will open Greater Metro/Classic 8 dual meet action Dec. 6 with a 6 p.m. dual meet against Brookfield.
The local co-op has about 23 swimmers out this season led by the two state qualifiers. Seiler advanced to state last season in both the 50 freestyle and the 100 butterfly. He was also on the state-qualifying 200 and 400 freestyle relay teams, as was Ciolkosz.
Other returnees include senior Brad Kruppe (sprints and backstroke), junior Sam Neale (freestyle), senior Cal Weber (freestyle and backstroke) and junior Sam Piette.
Weitzer is concerned about the fact that only four freshmen came out this winter but noted that three first-time seniors and one first-time junior have also decided to give swimming a shot.
"There is some talent out there and they are not afraid to put forth an effort," he said.
At the Janesville Cougar relays, the Indians scored 142 points for their spot as Elkhorn won the eight-squad event with 174 and Janesville Craig was second with 166.
The local co-op earned two firsts at the meet. They included the 400 individual medley team of Piette, Ciolkosz and Seiler (4:08.31) and the 300 butterfly crew of Neale, Ciolkosz and Seiler (2:55.59). The Indians also had five seconds.
"We usually swim this meet for fun," said Weitzer, "but overall, it was a pretty good start. It's like a slogan on the kids' T-shirts, 'The road to success is always under construction.' "
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls swimmers second in Northstar Invitational
- SPORTS SHORTS: Sept. 3
- Turnovers do in Menomonee Falls football team in loss to Superior
- Menomonee Falls volleyball team opens season with win over Nicolet
- Menomonee Falls football team stunned by inspired Oak Creek, 26-0
- Sport Shorts: Aug. 27, 2015
- Young Menomonee Falls soccer team to build on success of 2014
- Football: Youthful Oak Creek football team impresses in 26-0 win over Falls
- Menomonee Falls football team quick, active and experienced
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Menomonee Falls Indians