Concordia University Wisconsin Students Care For Children With Special Needs During Respite Event October 10
Concordia University Wisconsin will lend its Field House to a respite event on Sunday, October 10 from 8a.m. to 3p.m. The gathering is organized to give parents of children with special needs a chance for relaxation.
More than 200 CUW students have volunteered to work the event. Kids will enjoy face painting, arts and crafts, gym games, movies, and bingo with prizes. CUW’s nursing staff will conduct all the personal and medical care the children may require.
“Our student body has been really responsive, which is phenomenal because they are giving up half of their weekend,” said Kim Whitmore, assistant professor of nursing. “I match volunteers with a child based on their major and interest. Concordia students can give the children one-on-one attention and the kids just love it.”
Whitmore has made the event a tri-annual tradition since spring 2008. According to a survey, nearly 90% of respite volunteers rated their experience as very valuable. Sponsors for the event include Children’s Service Society of Wisconsin, United Way, Respite Care Association, and Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.
“Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is very proud to support families, as well as families with special needs,” said Brad Peterson, Thrivent Financial congregational and relationship manager for Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. “Through our unique fraternalism, this is another way that our millions of members can volunteer, become involved with, and support groups and issues they are passionate about."
Donations are still welcome for Bingo prizes and can be dropped off at the CUW Nursing Department. Monetary donations should be made payable to CUW Foundation. To contact Kim Whitmore, email her at email@example.com or call at 414-243-4269.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Sky Zone Launches Fitness Challenge
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Holy Week Celebration Services at Trinity UCC
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- Two Comedy Shows benefit local military charities
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Try out field hockey with LIFT!
- SkySlam Madness Takes the Court
- Sole Sister's Vendor EXPO!